How long after smart lipo can I get back into my regular gym routine?

I work out hard... Sprinting and heavy lifting with super sets. Also a lot of HIIT training. I was wondering how long after smart lipo (upper and lower abs, hips and waist) it would be until I am able to get back into the gym with the same tenacity as I was before surgery?

After Smart Lipo when can I exercise again?

Smart lipo, or laser lipo, is a great procedure for someone who is healthy, takes care of their body, and exercises regularly. The procedure, which also provides wonderful skin tightening benefits, is minimally invasive with little to no downtime, and is typically done in the office. Small incisions are used to liquify the fat cells, and then they are suctioned out.  Most patients should avoid strenuous exercise for at least two weeks after the procedure depending on what body part underwent surgery and what type of exercise they do, however each person is different, so it is best to follow up with your doctor. Wearing a compression garment continuously after smartlipo is also very important in achieving great results as it helps decrease swelling. Having realistic expectations,and choosing a board certified plastic surgeon that you feel understands your expectations is vital to your progress. 

Be Careful of Complacency

The problem I found after having liposuction myself around the middle was a feeling of complacency - I wasn't as motivated by the appearance of the "problem" areas because they were GONE, never to return. Being motivated to exercise is a WONDERFUL thing, but do it for other reasons besides the desire to "get rid of a problem area" after you have had liposuction. 

Technically, you can exercise as soon as you feel up to the task. Tissues that have undergone liposuction will feel a little stiff and a little sore at first, but I have had even dancers from  New York musicals get back on stage within a few weeks and perform successfully after major liposuction surgery.

Two weeks out of the gym after lipo

If the areas are not huge, you should be able to resume intense exercise in 2 weeks. You should wear your compression garment afterwards to prevent swelling.

Follow up with your surgeon

Great question! Typically it is best to wait one week before returning to your normal workout routine. Follow up with your surgeon to make sure you are healing properly. Remember to listen to your body, do not push yourself!

Bruce E. Katz, MD

After smart lipo when can i exercise again?

Typically my patients can do light walking 24 hours after the procedure. We advise patients to take about 10 days off from any exercise that will cause the patient's blood pressure to rise. When resuming working out it is important to listen to your body and to stop when certain activites or exercises cause pain.

Renee Burke, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Three weeks

Most of my patents tell me they are back to unrestricted activity by three weeks.

Easy, low impact exercise can be much sooner.

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

After Smart Lipo When Can I Exercise?

I typically have my patients walking outside the day after surgery and and then back to the gym after 7-10 days.  I think it is important to have good diet and exercise routine and get back to exercise to help enhance your results.  Best, Dr. Emer.