What to Do for Upper Lip Smile Line?

I noticed this a few years ago and it drives me crazy. When I smile, now I have a smile line on the skin above my upper lip. I don't know what that area is called, between the lip and nose. But the line is in the shape of a smile, like having a smile above your smile. I have stopped smiling. What can I do about getting rid of it? What causes it? Loss of tissue, volume? Musles? thanks

Smile line on lip

Sometimes these smile lines can be treated with Botox or dysport to relax them a bit.  These are due  to muscle in the upper lip that over time leave etching in the skin.

Upper lip smile crease

The horizontal upper lip crease is cause by the contraction of muscles that lie between the upper lip and the nose in a vertical and vertical oblique direction (specifically the depressor septi nasae). The surgical treatment is dividing those muscles via an incision inside the nose. Some surgeons will insert a small soft piece of cartilage to prevent the muscle edges from reconnecting. I would advise against botox for this because the risk of affecting other lip muscles and thereby distorting your smile.

Aaron Stone, MD