What is the Best Filler for Wrinkles in the Corners of the Mouth?

I have wrinkles in the corners of my mouth, downward frownlike wrinkles. They are very small. Can Radiesse fill them in or would a mouthlift be more appropriate?

Doctor Answers 5

Fillers in the corner of the mouth

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I do not like radiesse. I prefer the hyaluronic acids such as restylane,perlane or juvederm to do the trick.

Perioral wrinkle fillers

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I prefer Juvederm or Restylane for wrinkles around the mouth.  These fillers last for 6 to 9 months. While Radiesse lasts longer (18 months), it is more ideal for coarse wrinkles and sometimes leads to lumps.

Jason Hess, MD
San Diego Plastic Surgeon

Turn that frown upside down---with Botox!

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A little Botox injected into the muscles that pull down the corners of the mouth (the depressor anguli oris) will let the corners of your mouth turn up instead of down.  If you still have creases in the corners, you can always add a filler: Radiesse, Restylane, or Juvederm are all good options.  See a plastic surgeon (not a "cosmetic" surgeon) or dermatologist who does a lot of injectables.


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Restylane is a superior product for this area. It gives more lift and is far less likely to cause complications than Radiesse, which might lead to lumps and bumps.

I would also throw in some Botox into the DAO ( Depressor Angularis Oris) muscles. The four unit cost would not add much to your total and improves the downward turn of the mouth.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Treatments for the downturning corner of the mouth

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Down tuning of the corners of the mouth, generally imply that one is clenching or grinding one's teeth at night. Since there is a small muscle at the corner that works when we are clenching, over the years tissue begins to break down.

 Mild cases can be treated with Botox to the depressor anguli oris(DAO). If the creases are deeper, volume is needed. In the office i prefer Juvederm ultra Plus. in the operating room I will place fat.

I do not recommend surgery to lift the corners. the patients I have seen following this procedure elsewhere look like the joker.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.