Upper Lip Severely Swollen from Restylane

I had Restylane injected into my upper lip yesterday. The swelling was quite severe, as my mouth looked like a duck's beak! This morning, it seems much worse! I can hardly talk or move my mouth, since it's very stiff. Is this normal? What can I do do make the swelling subside? I'm freaking out, I look horrible!

Swelling after Restylane

Most swelling settles down within a week or two. See your injector if swelling lasts longer than that.

In the meantime, you can use cool packs to ease the swelling, placing them on your lips or 15 minute stretches 3-4 times a day. (your lips may be numb at the moment and doing short stretches with the ice pack minimizes the risk of frostbite).

Swelling After Lip Augmentation

It is normal to see some swelling following lip injections. The lips are a very sensitive area, and swelling can be quite pronounced for a few days following injection of filler. Be patient, most swelling settles down within a week or two. This is usually a temporary problem that will resolve with time. Cold compresses may be used immediately after treatment to reduce swelling only if needed.

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Post lip swelling

It is not uncommon for significant swelling post lip injection. They are very vascular structures which lends to inflammation.  It is important to see your surgeon to make sure that there is no infection. It is rare but it must be ruled out.

Some things that decrease swelling are using cannulas for the procedure, ice and head of bed elevation.

Hope this helps.

DrC

Benjamin Caughlin, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tips to reduce swelling after lip injection

Swelling is a common side effect after lip injections, especially within the first 24 to 48 hours, and it will subside. To reduce swelling for your next injection, ice your lips immediately after the injection. Repeated sessions of icing on the lips for the first 24 hours can help relieve symptoms quicker. Elevated sleeping the first night is also recommended to reduce any swelling in the face and lips.

Hang in there! The lips take about 2 weeks to settle with the new product in them. Be patient with your results, because the rate at which people heal and recover varies.

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip swelling after injections can take 1 week to resolve

Unfortunately, lip swelling occurs frequently after lip injections.  The reason is that the lips easily swell from trauma.  After your injections, ice regularly and sleep with your head elevated.

Melissa Chiang, MD, FAAD
Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

Upper Lip and Swelling from Restylane

I would ice and continue to lightly massage the area if you have swelling.  For severe swelling you might require a Medrol Dose Pack. If this is not relieved you may need Vytrase to dissolve the product.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Michele S. Green, MD

Swelling is expected after lip injections.

It is normal to see some swelling following lip injections. The lips are a very sensitive area, and swelling can be quite pronounced for a few days following injection of filler. Be patient, and the swelling should subside over the next week or two. In the meantime, you can ice your lip and keep your head elevated to help manage the swelling.

Douglas Wu, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Lip Swelling Common After Restylane Lip Filler

This is usually a temporary problem that will resolve with time.

My best advise to patients after lip augmentation, is that you will LOVE the look best in 2 weeks. By then the swelling will subside and any unevenness can be gently massaged and mobilized. If filler "travels" in the mid -lip, it can be smoothed but is best done by the provider. Cold compresses may be used immediately after treatment to reduce swelling only if needed. It will resolve regardless!

Ronald Moser, MD
San Juan Capistrano Physician

Swelling after lip augmentation

Lips do tend to swell after lip augmentation.  I tell my patients that the following day is the 'oh my gosh' moment that can go two ways:
1)  'oh my gosh' will the swelling go back down?  they are so big!  Answer --> yes, give it another few days
2)  'oh my gosh I love the lips even more today! will this go down?' Answer --> yes, it will go down.  you may need more volume in the lips to achieve what you are looking for.

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

Lip swelling after Restylane or Juvederm is temporary and to be expected

Restylane and Juvederm are hyaluronic acid fillers that 'plump' tissues by attracting fluid to the area of injection. Therefore lip swelling after Restylane or Juvederm is not unexpected but can be minimized with discreet augmentation along lip borders with application of ice pack afterwards.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon