Upper Lip Severely Swollen from Restylane

I had Restylane injected into my upper lip yesterday. The swelling was quite severe, as my mouth looked like a duck's beak! This morning, it seems much worse! I can hardly talk or move my mouth, since it's very stiff. Is this normal? What can I do do make the swelling subside? I'm freaking out, I look horrible!

Swelling after Restylane

Most swelling settles down within a week or two. See your injector if swelling lasts longer than that.

In the meantime, you can use cool packs to ease the swelling, placing them on your lips or 15 minute stretches 3-4 times a day. (your lips may be numb at the moment and doing short stretches with the ice pack minimizes the risk of frostbite).

Last contacted 3 hours ago

Swelling After Lip Augmentation

It is normal to see some swelling following lip injections. The lips are a very sensitive area, and swelling can be quite pronounced for a few days following injection of filler. Be patient, most swelling settles down within a week or two. This is usually a temporary problem that will resolve with time. Cold compresses may be used immediately after treatment to reduce swelling only if needed.

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Last contacted 3 days ago

Lip swelling after injections can take 1 week to resolve

Unfortunately, lip swelling occurs frequently after lip injections.  The reason is that the lips easily swell from trauma.  After your injections, ice regularly and sleep with your head elevated.

Melissa Chiang, MD, FAAD
Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

Last contacted 14 days ago

Upper Lip and Swelling from Restylane

I would ice and continue to lightly massage the area if you have swelling.  For severe swelling you might require a Medrol Dose Pack. If this is not relieved you may need Vytrase to dissolve the product.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Michele S. Green, MD

Last contacted 1 hour ago

Swelling is expected after lip injections.

It is normal to see some swelling following lip injections. The lips are a very sensitive area, and swelling can be quite pronounced for a few days following injection of filler. Be patient, and the swelling should subside over the next week or two. In the meantime, you can ice your lip and keep your head elevated to help manage the swelling.

Douglas Wu, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Last contacted 3 hours ago

Lip Swelling Common After Restylane Lip Filler

This is usually a temporary problem that will resolve with time.

My best advise to patients after lip augmentation, is that you will LOVE the look best in 2 weeks. By then the swelling will subside and any unevenness can be gently massaged and mobilized. If filler "travels" in the mid -lip, it can be smoothed but is best done by the provider. Cold compresses may be used immediately after treatment to reduce swelling only if needed. It will resolve regardless!

Ronald Moser, MD
San Juan Capistrano Physician

Last contacted 10 days ago

Swelling after lip augmentation

Lips do tend to swell after lip augmentation.  I tell my patients that the following day is the 'oh my gosh' moment that can go two ways:
1)  'oh my gosh' will the swelling go back down?  they are so big!  Answer --> yes, give it another few days
2)  'oh my gosh I love the lips even more today! will this go down?' Answer --> yes, it will go down.  you may need more volume in the lips to achieve what you are looking for.

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

Last contacted 2 hours ago

Lip swelling after Restylane or Juvederm is temporary and to be expected

Restylane and Juvederm are hyaluronic acid fillers that 'plump' tissues by attracting fluid to the area of injection. Therefore lip swelling after Restylane or Juvederm is not unexpected but can be minimized with discreet augmentation along lip borders with application of ice pack afterwards.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Last contacted 5 hours ago

Temporary swelling occurs with Restylane injections

Restylane is a hyaluronic acid filler. After injection, the hyaluronic acid absorbs water temporarily and will swell for 12 to 24 hours. Instructions after treatment include application of pressure, ice, and minimal activity in the injected area (i.e. minimize chewing and talking after injection).

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Last contacted 2 hours ago

Expected

Lilyloo,

Swelling, sometimes severe, can occur after Restylane lip augmentation.  It is usually worse in the morning after sleeping in a flat position.  Try some ice compresses and sleep with your head elevated on several pillows for a few nights.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD, FACS

Last contacted 2 days ago