Upper Lip Severely Swollen from Restylane

I had Restylane injected into my upper lip yesterday. The swelling was quite severe, as my mouth looked like a duck's beak! This morning, it seems much worse! I can hardly talk or move my mouth, since it's very stiff. Is this normal? What can I do do make the swelling subside? I'm freaking out, I look horrible!

Swelling after Restylane

Most swelling settles down within a week or two. See your injector if swelling lasts longer than that.

In the meantime, you can use cool packs to ease the swelling, placing them on your lips or 15 minute stretches 3-4 times a day. (your lips may be numb at the moment and doing short stretches with the ice pack minimizes the risk of frostbite).

Upper Lip and Swelling from Restylane

I would ice and continue to lightly massage the area if you have swelling.  For severe swelling you might require a Medrol Dose Pack. If this is not relieved you may need Vytrase to dissolve the product.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Swelling is expected after lip injections.

It is normal to see some swelling following lip injections. The lips are a very sensitive area, and swelling can be quite pronounced for a few days following injection of filler. Be patient, and the swelling should subside over the next week or two. In the meantime, you can ice your lip and keep your head elevated to help manage the swelling.

Douglas Wu, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Lip Swelling Common After Restylane Lip Filler

This is usually a temporary problem that will resolve with time.

My best advise to patients after lip augmentation, is that you will LOVE the look best in 2 weeks. By then the swelling will subside and any unevenness can be gently massaged and mobilized. If filler "travels" in the mid -lip, it can be smoothed but is best done by the provider. Cold compresses may be used immediately after treatment to reduce swelling only if needed. It will resolve regardless!

Ronald Moser, MD
San Juan Capistrano Physician

Swelling after lip augmentation

Lips do tend to swell after lip augmentation.  I tell my patients that the following day is the 'oh my gosh' moment that can go two ways:
1)  'oh my gosh' will the swelling go back down?  they are so big!  Answer --> yes, give it another few days
2)  'oh my gosh I love the lips even more today! will this go down?' Answer --> yes, it will go down.  you may need more volume in the lips to achieve what you are looking for.

Lip swelling after Restylane or Juvederm is temporary and to be expected

Restylane and Juvederm are hyaluronic acid fillers that 'plump' tissues by attracting fluid to the area of injection. Therefore lip swelling after Restylane or Juvederm is not unexpected but can be minimized with discreet augmentation along lip borders with application of ice pack afterwards.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Expected

Lilyloo,

Swelling, sometimes severe, can occur after Restylane lip augmentation.  It is usually worse in the morning after sleeping in a flat position.  Try some ice compresses and sleep with your head elevated on several pillows for a few nights.  Good luck!

Restylane SILK swelling with Lip Enhancements

Restylane  SILK can produce swelling in the lip just as Juvaderm Ultra XC can.  Since they are both hyaluronic acids and hydrophilic(water loving)  water is drawn into the area with fast injection, causing exaggerated swelling.  This is usually a temporary problem that will resolve with ice, benadryl orally and time. Contact your provider if the swelling persists or if you have increased pain.

#Restylanesideeffects   #LIpswelling   #lipenhancements

Minimizing Lip Swelling after Lip Augmentation

Swelling to a varying degree is expected. Here are some tips to make it go away faster -
  • Continued head elevation - sleep in recliner chair for up to the first week
  • Icing - not directly on skin, 20 min on then 20 min off if comfortable for the first 3 days
  • Low Salt diet
  • No heavy lifting, bending over or intense exercise
  • Bromelain and/or Arnica

Temporary swelling occurs with Restylane injections

Restylane is a hyaluronic acid filler. After injection, the hyaluronic acid absorbs water temporarily and will swell for 12 to 24 hours. Instructions after treatment include application of pressure, ice, and minimal activity in the injected area (i.e. minimize chewing and talking after injection).

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS