Could I have a pneumothorax from my breast enlargement?

I had a sub-muscular BA 2 days ago, 410 and 440 high profile. The initial 6 hours after surgery was ok but I have since developed serous pain in my upper back, I feel like someone has stamped and trampled on my shoulder blades. I started with nausea and vomiting around 12 hours ago and called the nurse who advised it could be down to painkillers/antibiotics (cocodamol 500/30mg x2) so to take paracetamol instead.continuing to vomit, the pain across my back is horrendous and so much pressure front

Needs evaluation

Best you be seen in person for an evaluation.  A pneumothorax is diagnosed on exam by listening to the chest, or with an X-ray.

Breast augmentation

Usually pain medications will help normal post-op discomfort. If it is really severe, then it might be worth seeing your doc or calling him to review the care and to make sure you do not have a hematoma or ptx..

Pneumothorax After Breast Augmentation

Pneumothorax after breast augmentation is a possible complication. A physical examination at minimum and a chest x-ray are necessary to diagnose this condition. You should proceed immediately to your plastic surgeon for follow-up or to the nearest emergency room. 

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Breast augmentation

A pneumothorax is a rare but possible complication of breast augmentation surgery. This forum is probably not the best place to get advice on this as a pneumothorax is a potentially fatal complication. If you suspect you may have something going on I would speak to a clinician as soon as possible. 

Best Wishes 

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician

Breast Augmentation Pain

Neck back and shoulder pain are common after the placement of implants. The implants pull on the tight pectoral muscles which in turn pulls on the shoulders and neck.

Pneumothorax is  a rare, but possible complication. It is easily ruled out by a chest x- ray.

When in doubt call you PS again now.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Pneumothorax post breast augmentation

Hi. A pneumothorax is a well described, potential complication of sub-muscular breast augmentation. Whilst your symptoms are not typical of this complication, you should bring this to the attention of your doctor - if there is any doubt, a chest X ray will confirm or exclude the diagnosis.

Paul Jason Skoll, MBChB, FRCS, FCS (SA) Plast
South Africa Plastic Surgeon

Possible pneumothorax

if you have had a sudden change and pain of this nature and location you urgently need to be checked by your surgeon or a local hospital emergency department if your surgeonis not available