Pregnancy after a preventative mastectomy?

I'm having my preventative double mastectomy done in January and I'm wandering if this will cause me any problems in conceiving my next child ? I have a 3 year old but am wanting to start trying for a baby next summer . I'm having immediate implant construction with nipple sparing and just wandered if this is likely to effect my hormone levels and fertility ? Thanks

Pregnancy after preventative double mastectomy

Greetings. That's a great question. It is very courageous that you are taking your health into your own hands and undergoing a preventative double mastectomy. I think that a nipple sparing type of mastectomy with immediate implant reconstruction is the ideal scenario. The actual surgery should have no effect on your hormone levels or your fertility. The only question is that even with a nipple sparing mastectomy- there may still be a minimal amount of breast tissue left behind and this may still become reactive during the pregnancy. I would have a more in depth discussion with your surgical oncologist about this and whether it would make more sense to have your next child and then proceed with your double mastectomy- again that is a question for your surgical oncologist, not your plastic surgeon.

Good Luck with your surgery.

Nanuet Plastic Surgeon