Implant after reconstruction rolls to the side exposing cavity towards the midline. Can this be corrected?

I had double mastectomy 5 months ago with tissue expanders placed in. I noticed then that the left breast was not as close as the right breast to the midline. 2 weeks ago I had the silicone implants placed in (250 cc). When I lay down the left implant rolls to the side revealing a cavity near my midline. Not only the implants are small and seem even smaller, but the cavity exposed when I lay down is very appalling. Can this be corrected in cases of reconstructed breasts?

Can I adjust the uneveness of my reconstructed breasts?

Yes, the various uneveness like lack of upper pole fullness can be adjusted with fat transfer, from one area like abdomen to the breasts. This can usually be done under a local tumescent type anesthesia in my certified office operating room.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reconstruction Revision Surgery

Breast Reconstruction Revision Surgery can often be performed to improve the aesthetic and functional outcome and should be covered by your insurance. Without an actual in person exam, it is very difficult to evaluate your problem. Many times the original pocket that was made at the time of tissue expander placement, can be altered and tailored for the permanent implant. Contour deformities can often be treated with minimal fat grafting. I would seek the care of a board certified plastic surgeon for evaluation and care. Good Luck.

Helen Perakis, MD
Nanuet Plastic Surgeon

Breast reconstrcution revision

Breast reconstruction revision is performed routinely at our office under your insurance. A consultation is necessary to allow for obtaining medical coverage to "medialize" your implant only or to replace the implants for larger ones. Breast implant lateralization is a common problem especially if your pockets were too large and lateralized from the placement of your expander.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Correction of midline deformity in breast reconstruction

Yes, the midline deformity can be corrected by adjusting the pocket capsule to obliterate the lateral fold space the implant falls into when supine.  Depending on available tissues and chest anatomy, you may also need larger implants and fat grafting to improve contour. Best, Dr. Yegiyants 

Sara Yegiyants, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon