Will a round moderate 300cc implant get me to a C?

I'm currently a 34A or AA, (BWD 12cm) hardly any breast tissue, and would like to be a 34 B/C. I'm 5'8, slim and athletic. Will 300cc moderate implants create a natural look, I don't like the 'step off' that high profiles give, or would teardrop implants be a better option?

Implant Choice

Thanks for your question.  It would help if you could upload a few pictures to truly tell you what type of implant will be best.   Moderate implants do create a more natural look and are often a choice of many of my patients.  Work with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your post-operative goals and concerns.  

Steven Camp MD

Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

The right size for you

It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 350 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. . Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the below link.

Best Breast Implants for Me?

Thank you for the question. There is no accurate/reliable/predictable correlation between size/profile breast implant utilized and cup size achieved. Online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific enough advice to be truly helpful. Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.
Given that your surgery is coming up soon, I would suggest that you spend additional time communicating your goals/concerns directly with your plastic surgeon, preferably prior to the date of surgery.
Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:
1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of know words such as “natural look” or "C or D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.
I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

The Supernatural Breast Enlargement

Dear hbp,

Thank you for your question.  You are obviously well informed because you have noted your breast width and this is crucial when choosing the right implant.  I think you would get a nice result with moderate profile round implants or teardrop implants.

The moderate profile round implant will give a little more fullness in the upper pole, which I call the 'supernatural' look (have a look at the link to my blog post below).  A lot of patients ask for a natural look, but when they see the natural look achieved with teardrop implants, they actually want a little more fullness (not necessarily the 'step off' that you get with the higher profile implants) and this is where the moderate profile round implant comes in.

I would advise that you see a plastic surgeon (look for FRCS(Plast) after their name) and look at some before and after photographs of what the different shapes and profiles can achieve.  It sounds like you are on course to get a great result.  Good luck.

Breast I

I appreciate your question.

It depends on your chest wall measurements and existing breast tissue as implant size does not accurately correlate to a bra size. It also depends on the brand and style of bra you wear as size varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute

Fiqure 150-200cc of breast implant to enlarge by one cup size in the same style and manufacturer of bra you currently wear. See below:

Thank you for your question. In addition to getting measurements of your breast dimensions as an initial guide for implant selection, it's a good idea to try on different implant sizers and look in the mirror to determine the look that you want. Try not to focus on a particular volume or cup size but more on the appearance that you're looking for. Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

I much prefer round implants over teardrop

Thank you for your question.  I did a lot of teardrop implants when the implant companies were doing a lot of advertising of them as a more natural shaped implant.  They looked fine initially though patients had a lot more superior pole fullness that took a while to go down. Over time, I noticed that these patients look less natural than those with round implants and they tend to have a wider separation between their breasts which virtually no one wants.  I now very rarely use teardrop shaped implants. They are also more expensive than round implants.  My preference is the moderate plus profile implants under the muscle.  300cc's should give you a very natural look and take you to a large B or small C cup. Good luck. 

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Hi there,
either is a good option for natural results.

hopefully your surgeon has clarified the differences between the 2 types of implants.
given that you are very flat, your breast will take the shape of the implants. The round will look more round and the anatomical more natural but of course there is the risk of implant rotation

apart from these implants there is a middle way, under filled silicone implants (NAGOR GFX) that give you the best of both worlds, a very natural and soft Breast and no risk of rotation

best of luck