Umbilicoplasty to Remove Scar Above Belly Button? (photo)

I am 22 years old, I have a vertical scar about 1.3 inches tall above my belly button, I was wondering if with a umbilicoplasty this could be solved.

Doctor Answers 2

Scar Above Belly Button - Scar Revision

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thanks for your photo and question!

It appears that you have a scar that is either hypertrophic or keloid above your belly button, perhaps from previous surgery? To improve the appearance of the scar I recommend scar revision surgery rather than umbilicoplasty, given the length of your scar.

Before undergoing revision surgery it is wise to discuss with your surgeon the reasons that your scar is not currently as cosmetically satisfactory as you would like. Sometimes unaesthetic scars develop because of factors that can be corrected, such as tension, infection or a lack of scar management. However, some people have a tendency to develop hypertrophic or keloid scars. Surgery would aim to reduce the width of your scar and leave you with a much less noticeable scar.

By discussing the factors that contribute to poor scarring you'll get an idea of the possible outcomes of scar revision surgery in you. The surgery can be done under local anaesthetic and it will be important to adhere to a post operative scar minimisation plan which may involve silicone sheeting, massage and occasionally corticosteroid injections to the scar.

Good luck! JT

Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Scar revision for a scar on the belly button and abdomen

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The abdominal scar above your belly button should be reexcised with layered skin closure.  This will improve your results in the long term.  Pulsed dye laser will improve the scar, but there will still be textural changes in the skin.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 95 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.