What size/profile to go from 32C to 32DD? (Photo)

Current stats: 32C (want to be 32DD) 28" round the rib cage BWD 13cm 5'6", 9 stone, no children, 25 years old 2" gap between breasts I hate the fake look when you can see the round curve on the top of the breast. But I've been advised I have enough tissue to go over the muscle so that won't happen, and I like the other advantages (weight lifting, softness, etc) What size and profile would get me close to what I want? I'm grateful for any advice, thank you!

Implant size

Choosing the right size and shape implant depends on any number of factors all of which require an in person exam. I would suggest that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area (link below) to discuss the best option for you. However, keep in mind that cup size is never a good indicator of actual breast volume. It is always best to focus on the "look" you want to achieve. Best of luck, Dr. Nazarian

How to avoid upper breast fullness.

The best way to achieve this is not to go too large and place the implants underneath the muscle.  You have done both.  You can go smaller. You can also look at a anatomic implant which is fuller at the bottom and narrow on top. Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, MD

Implant required to achieve DD bra

Thanks for your question.  Unfortunately there is no good correlation between implant size and bra size.  There are too many variables like the pre-existing breast tissue, implant shape, and even the bra manufacturer.  You are better off seeking a consultation with a surgeon who can base your choice on your breast characteristics, and techniques like trying on sizers, 3D imaging, and before/after photos.

Implant options

Thank you for your question and photos. Unless You are into major upper body building you should be fine to have your implants placed under the muscle if you wish. I have many patients who are fitness models and quite active.

Your most proportionate implant size options will be determined by your measurements. I recommend that you book a consultation with a board certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your expectations and options.

My patients find it helpful to try on the implant sizers with their clothing in order to get a feel for them.

All the best

Breast implants

Thank you for your question and photos.  Keep in mind that it is nearly impossible to predict cup size prior to surgery.  The first step that you should take is to be seen in person by a board certified plastic surgeon and clearly voice your surgical goals to him/her.  You should be able to "try on" different implants to get a good idea of what would look best for you.  If you are not interested in getting a fake look, it is unlikely that a high profile implant would be in your best interest as this gives a more "augmented" look.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

32C to 32DD

I have reviewed your photos and I believe a 400-425cc implant would produce the result you are looking for.

Fred Suess, MD

What size/profile to go from 32C to 32DD?

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you  is dictated by your chest wall measurements. Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance. Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant.

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).
Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.
These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

You need to use sizers

to help you decide on what size will work best for you.  This has been found to be very accurate in my practice as I've polled my patients post-op about how close they felt their sizing was to their final result.  Unlined bras and adding 10% to the size you like is what my 'formula' is.

As for over or under the muscle, if you aren't a serious body builder, you are giving up many advantages of going submuscular when going over the muscle.  And implant position has absolutely nothing to do with softness.  Going on top of the muscle usually leads to the rock in the sock look down the road if your implants are good sized.

If you're going over the muscle, you need to consider having shaped implants to help diminish your increased risks for capsular contracture.  I hope they did not forget to mention that to you during your consultation as some surgeon conveniently forget to mention that when pushing their preference for above the muscle placement.

Curtis Wong, MD

How to pick an implant

Selecting the right implant is sometimes confusing for patients because there are so many options and choices to pick from.  However, with the assistance of a board certified plastic surgeon, you can narrow down the options quickly to find an implant that will fit your body.

The basic principles of implant selection involve finding an implant that fits within the boundaries of the breast.  When selecting a size and a profile, the implant needs to fill the breast without over stretching. Over-stretching the skin is what ultimately leads to long term problems and can easily create a "fake" look.

During your consultation, your surgeon should review the options with you and help you figured out the correct size so you can achieve your aesthetic goals.

Good luck!

The best cosmetic result in any particular breast augmentation patient depends on a variety of factors, including: Your individual anatomy, realistic expectations, a thorough discussion with the plastic surgeon about the options, and an understanding of the pros and cons of any particular implant choice. Proper sizing is not just about the number of cc’s. The thickness of your tissue, breastdimensions which include the width, height, and projection, as well as chest wall width all need to be considered when choosing an implant. Trying on implant “sizers” of various shapes and volumes while wearing a tight t-shirt, bra, or bathing sit at a preoperative visit will help you and your surgeon choose the optimal implant.

There are no manufacturers' standards for cup sizing in the bra industry. The cups of a 32 DD and a 36 DD are significantly different. Cup size varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and even within styles from any particular manufacturer. Nor is there a direct correlation between implant shape or size and cup size.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest that your plastic surgeon be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon