What is the Maximum Number Grafts That Can Be Done in One Transplant Session?

fifteen year since my last transplant session. it took 2 or 3 sessions to do approx. 1200 grafts. has the process improved in the last 15 years?

Maximum number of hair grafts per session.

There was a phase where surgeons were doing 2000 per session. I don't think the results were as good as when only 1000 grafts were done per session. They start to grow faster and I think the yield is better when fewer are done. I currently only do 1000 as a maximum and if it is a small area, even less. Too many at one time can shock the surrounding hair causing it to fall out temporarily.

Size of megassssions

This depends upon the type of harvesting you do. For a person who never had a hair transplant and average density, a session of 3000 grafts is often done when indicated (FUE or Strip surgery). With people like you who had 2 previous surgeries, the number of grafts are often less, maybe in the 1500-2000 range but that would depend upon the examination of you. 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Maximum number of grafts in one session is dependent on the exam

Maximum number of grafts in one session is dependent on the exam.  Doctor needs to determine your hair density and scalp elasticity for maximum harvest.  Every person is different and with each surgery the maximum number changes.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Diffres but 1000 graft per session is reasonable

There are many methods of hair transplantation.  Wanted them RFUE and another can be a surgical flap.  Grafts can be taken with as few as one hair follicle or multiple follicles.  The quality of the hair, the number of follicles per unit and the location in which the hair is to be placed are all important determinants in the final result.  While it is a common misconception that hair can and should be taken from any location, taking appropriate hair from an appropriate location is key to success.  For instance, one cannot always use hair from a beard to replace a frontal hairline.  The orientation in which Harris placed is also important.  If the frontal hairline is being created then it is important to make sure that hairs are aligned in the correct orientation.  The way the hair is also laid down, for example a staggered pattern versus a straight line will also change the quality of the result.  You should certainly visit with a surgeon who does many of these types of transplantations as well as offers multiple options for hair restoration.  The cost can vary by geographic locale.  In general they can arrange from $7000-$25,000.  When you go over consultation ask for before and after photographs.

Body Hair Transplant with 8,000 Grafts

There have been numerous advancements in the last 15 years. In one session, I transplanted 8,000 individual hair grafts from my patient’s beard and donor areas of his head using an advanced method of follicular unit extraction (FUE). My uGraft technique for body hair transplantation (BHT) uses non-head hair and transplants it to recipient areas. BHT increases the donor supply using non-head hair harvested from other parts of the body and face. This includes other hair from the face such as the beard. It also allows for the chest, stomach, shoulders, arms and legs as potential sources.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Maximum number of hair grafts in Hair Transplant Session

The process has significantly improved.  The average number per session is 2000 and I have done over 3000 at one time.

Jack Fisher, MD

Number of Grafts in Hair Transplant Procedure

Yes, the process has improved significantly. We now do single "megasessions" where 2000 grafts are safely placed with excellent results.

Maximum hair grafts in one session

It all depends on the degree of hair loss. On average our hair transplant sessions are 2,300 grafts. The maximum graft I have placed was 3,125 grafts. I use a 0.7mm chisel blade to make the graft sites, so we can fit more. Using the FUE (follicular unit extraction) method,  the average session is 1,500 grafts.

Ben Behnam, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

3000+ grafts per session

The number of grafts that you can transplant in a single session will depend on the density of your donor area and the laxity of your scalp. While I have performed more than 3000 grafts in one session, I would say that 1500-3000 is a regular occurrence.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Max number

I would stay around 2000-2500 

this would also depend on your donor area and the method of harvest.

if you have adequate density, FUE is a wonderful way of doing multiple procedures without the morbidity associated with strip.

Dr. Malouf

Peter Malouf, DO
Dallas Dermatologist