Two Upper Bridges Separated, Creating a Gap. Options Aside From Replacement? (photo)

I have two upper bridges, three teeth each, meeting in the middle. Over the past couple of years the bridges have separated, leaving a gap. One dentist has said they can't be bonded, and sent me to an orthodontist who said there was nothing he could do. Is there anything I can do short of replacing the bridges?

Doctor Answers 5

Bridges with a gap

Have you spoken to the dentist that put the bridges in?  Also you need to have xrays completed to make sure there isi nothing else going on which may cause a space.  Teeth generally do not move like that unless there is a problem with your bite.   Unfortunately, it may be too difficult to close the space without have atleast one bridge remade.  But if that will make the side of the bridge too large compared to the opposing, then the fromn teeth wil not look even - therefore you made need to have both replaced.  Talk to your dentist who placed them and if they were not placed long ago, you may get a pretty good financial deal out of it. Bridges are expensive to have placed. 

Jacksonville Dentist

Gap between 2 bridges, what can been done to correct this

The diastema that has formed is unable to be corrected without replacing the bridgework.  You cannot bond to porcelain predictably and bridges are unable to be moved normally during orthodontics.  The only concern for me is what causing the space to form.  Unfortunately the only option would be to replace the bridgework.



Leonard Tau, DMD
Philadelphia Dentist
5.0 out of 5 stars 3 reviews

Space between two bridges could be sign of other problems

The most likely reason for the space opening up is either a habit like a tongue thrust (when swallowing) or the bite (lower teeth) pushing it out. A secondary potential complication is there may be periodontal or gum disease  causing bone loss making these teeth easier to push out and open the space. All this must be evaluated or the space will continue to open and the teeth supporting the bridge could have bad long-term issues.

As far a quick fix, you could try to bond composite by etching the porcelain but I would not guarrantee that it will hold up. It may break off or chip. Replacing the bridges would work but realize that the teeth will have to be wider to close the space. If you don't want this, then you will need to first section the bridge and close the space with braces or invisalign and then re-do them. Another alternative is to make one long bridge across the front (6 teeth together). This should be more stable and it will be impossible for a space to open in the front. You still have the issue of wider teeth it you don't do braces.


Good luck

Dr. T

Mauricio C. Tijerino, DMD
Miami Beach Dentist

You might also like...

Repairing 2 Upper Bridges with Space Between 2 Front Teeth

The real question is " Why are the teeth shifting so drastically that the space has opened?" You should have a qualified dentist check your occlusion (the way the upper and lower teeth meet) to make sure it is "even". As a short-term fix, your dentist can try bonding some material to each of the front 2 teeth to try to close the space (diastema). But remember, until your occlusion is correct, the space will re-open.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Dentist

Gap between front teeth is a "bridge over troubled water."

Based on your photograph, the diastema (gap) forming between your two front teeth which are connected to two separate 3-unit bridges represents a difficult restorative condition that unfortunately, will optimally require replacing the bridgework. A better design would be one anterior bridge with a connection between the two front teeth as the central diastema (space between the two front teeth) can be problematic.

Gerry Curatola, DDS
Manhattan Dentist
5.0 out of 5 stars 5 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.