SculpSure and umbilical hernia. Can it be done?

I may have an umbilical hernia that developed post pregnancy. I just consulted with my OBGYN and she cannot tell, so she referred me to a surgeon who will perform the right ultrasound and see what's happening there. It's mid October and I was hoping to have SculpSure before then... Is it safe? Or should I wait to see whether I do have an umbilical hernia or not? Will there be any damage?

SculpSure

Thank you for your question. The SculpSure laser is designed to avoid the umbilical hernia area that can be troublesome for female patients in their early post-pregnancy stages. I suggest that you move forward and consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon. It might provide you additional comfort to have your OBGYN discuss with your board certified facial plastic surgeon performing the SculpSure procedure.

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scupsure and Umbilical Hernia

Small Umbilical Hernias are very common after pregnancy. The Sculpsure frames are designed to avoid directly the laser over the umbilical area.  The doctor performing the Sculpsure should be sure to avoid placing the Sculpsure laser over the umbilical area.

Best regards

Dr. Chapman

Hernia and sculpsure

Safety is the primary concern with using any device. Once an ultrasound is performed and the hernia is found to be small, the sculpture applicators are placed in an area away from the hernia. I also consult first with a general surgeon for accurate diagnosis and complete safety.

Robert M. Wald, Jr., MD

Needs an exam

During an exam before SculpSure treatments we check for hernias and diastasis recti (separation of the abdominal muscles). If there is a hernia or diastasis, we just alter the placement of the heads to avoid direct treatment over these areas.

Sculpsure and hernia

Sculpsure treatment will be targeted to the abdomen, an no treatment is performed over the belly-button, so the umbilical hernia should not affect your treatment.  Please notify your doctor prior to your treatment.

Dennis Dass, MD

Should be fine

if you have a plastic surgeon evaluate , we can tell most of the time, if you have an umbilical hernia that is large or not. provided the paddles are not put over the hernia (it should not be put over the umbilicus at all) then it should not be a problem

david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

SculpSure and Hernia

I would wait to have your hernia evaluated before having SculpSure performed. SculpSure can be performed on areas where the hernia is not present.

Patricia DePoli, MD, FACS
Skokie Plastic Surgeon

Sculpsure/Hernia/Will Cause Damage?--O.k. for Sculpsure/Ultrasound/ThermiRF for skin tightening

Sculpsure can still be performed if you have a hernia, as long as that area is avoided. I recommend a combination approach using VASER 4D hi def lipo plus radiofrequency, ultrasound, or laser treatments to tighten and tone the area. See an expert for a formal consultation after determining if you have a hernia or not. Best, Dr. Emer

SculpSure delay for hernia evaluation?

It is not OK to put applicators over a hernia where there isn't a well defined fat layer. However, there is no problem to be Sculpted around it since even if you choose to have it operated on, it will probably take 2-6 weeks to get scheduled, approved etc.

SculpSure and an umbilical hernia

SculpSure can be performed if an umbilical hernia is present.  The treatment CAN NOT be over or near the hernia though.  SculpSure is adaptable and avoidance of hernias, scars, bony prominence is easy.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon