Sculpsure and Bodybuilding?

I have a more theoretical question regarding Sculpsure. If an aspiring serious fitness enthusiast or bodybuilder were to get Sculpsure done, what would happen? Bodybuilders compete at single digit body fat percentages. Since Sculpsure destroys 24% of fat cells in a given treatment, what would happen if someone at 18% body fat got Sculpsure on flanks and abs but later cut to 6.5-10% body fat? Would they look very ripped or unhealthy lean?

SculpSure

Thank you for your question. SculpSure is intended for individuals trying to eliminate 25% of their belly fat. With your lean physique, SculpSure will be forced to target a lower percentage of that fat. I suggest that you move forward by consulting with a board certified facial plastic surgeon. The in-person examination will allow the surgeon to be better equipped to answer your questions as pictures are very helpful for us on this site. 

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculpsure can be done to reduce fat in fit individuals

Many patients who are lean still have certain areas that have localized fat accumulation and if the physician determines there is enough fat to treat with SculpSure or CoolSculpting then the physican may decide the treatment is appropriate, but there has to be enough volume of fat to make the procedure safe. If there is too thin a layer of fat, the energy from SculpSure would reach the deeper fascial planes or the lining over bony prominences which lie underneath the fat in a normally built person, and this would be too painful to allow the patient to sit through the treatment. It might also subject the patient to possible injury from the heat not being absorbed by the fat and hurting other tissues, even the skin.  

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Shouldn't be a problem

Good candidates for SculpSure treatments are patients with realistic expectations of results from the body-sculpting treatment. The procedure is not geared toward weight loss, but toward body sculpting and defining problem areas. 

SculpSure laser does not penetrate to the surrounding tissue and muscles so as long as your BMI is under 30 you should be able to produce some good results as body builder/ fitness model. Please note that the optimal and maximized results from SculpSure is 24% fat loss, so a person with 18% body fat will have less fat to treat, thus reducing the percentage of overall fat removal. 

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Body Contouring procedures work best in healthy patients

The perfect body contouring patient is someone who is at or near their ideal body weight and trying to remove small localized areas of fat.  SculpSure does not remove all the fat, only 24% on average, so all patients, including body builders do not look unhealthy.

SculpSure in Athletic / Bodybuilding Patients -- Consider VASER HI DEF AB SCULPTING

SculpSure is good for patients who are fit and need small problem areas treated. I have a significant number of patients who want six packs or more definition and do this procedure combined with VANQUISH/Cellutone.  If you want to further get low bf definition, try a VASER HI DEF 4D contouring six pack liposuction procedure.  Best, Dr. Emer

Ideal SculpSure Patient

SculpSure is ideal for patients who are fit and healthy, but need some help getting rid of stubborn fat. Therefore, it would be helpful to a bodybuilder or fitness enthusiast who needs help cutting down their body fat percentage. Whether they look lean or 'ripped' depends on how well-developed the muscle mass is beneath the fat. By reducing the amount of fat around the abdomen and flanks, more of the muscle would show.

Jennifer Levine, MD

Perfect Option

This would be a great application of the SculpSure technology. Many of my patients are competitive athletes, yoga instructors, runners, etc who have very low body fat. While you see on average 24% fat reduction in the areas treated, I believe this is more pronounced in people who have low body fat to begin with (ie you will see more muscle definition). You may also benefit from some radio-frequency skin tightening. 

Body building

lots of "thin" people have residual fat deposits, especially on lower abdomen and thighs. These would be obvious areas where SculpSure would provide better contouring than diet and exercise alone.

SculpSure

SculpSure would be useful for a bodybuilder.  Bulges can be reduced with the treatment to help sculpt your look.  Thin patients with bulges can do well with SculpSure.

I think you would look good

i don't think you are likely to have problems from the Sculpsure. it should assist you in lowering your body fat.

good luck with your competition.

david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon