Sculpsure and Bodybuilding?

I have a more theoretical question regarding Sculpsure. If an aspiring serious fitness enthusiast or bodybuilder were to get Sculpsure done, what would happen? Bodybuilders compete at single digit body fat percentages. Since Sculpsure destroys 24% of fat cells in a given treatment, what would happen if someone at 18% body fat got Sculpsure on flanks and abs but later cut to 6.5-10% body fat? Would they look very ripped or unhealthy lean?

SculpSure & Body Building

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Honestly, hard to say without seeing you in person. In general, SculpSure is for isolated pockets of fat. Not overall fat reduction. It's an interesting question.... 

Why not both??

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

Sculpsure is a noninvasive 1060nm diode laser treatment that removes up to 25% of stubborn fat in the treated area in 25 minutes.It is FDA approved for the abdomen and flanks. It is safe if you get pregnant in the future.

The body contouring effects are seen in as quick as six weeks with final results at 12 weeks. 

The results are permanent as long as you maintain your weight and health.

The laser targets and destroys the fat cells only which are then naturally removed from the body. Since the laser does not affect the skin or muscle it can be used on all skin colors and there has been no reported incidents of burns when treated by a properly trained physician. It is protective since it alternates heating and cooling. 

It has four applicators that can be customized to treat the areas of stubborn fat. 

If a second treatment is needed we wait at least six weeks and usually closer to 12. 

There is no downtime and you can resume your normal activities right after the treatment. There may be some soreness in the area for a few days for which you can take ibuprofen or tylenol. A cold compress can also be used.

Sculpsure is not used for skin tightening however some of her patients have seen this. If more skin tightening is needed we have combined this with thermi or Ulthera for a complete treatment. Sculpsure is recommended for stubborn areas of fat that are not being lost by diet and exercise. It is not a weight loss treatment

Since I have both a coolsculpting and sculpsure I am working on protocols of utilizing both of these depending upon what areas need to be treated and the response to the treatment. 

I have used sculpsure on other areas other than the abdomen with very good results. 

I also use a Vectra 3D imaging system to try and show people what their treatment areas could look like.

Since Sculpsure outcomes can be based on technique and experience, please see a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes body contouring to see if Sculpsure or other treatments are available to meet your goals. 

Take care,

Dr Schwartz

#Sculpsure

#RealSelf100Surgeon

SculpSure

Thank you for your question. SculpSure is intended for individuals trying to eliminate 25% of their belly fat. With your lean physique, SculpSure will be forced to target a lower percentage of that fat. I suggest that you move forward by consulting with a board certified facial plastic surgeon. The in-person examination will allow the surgeon to be better equipped to answer your questions as pictures are very helpful for us on this site. 

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculpsure can be done to reduce fat in fit individuals

Many patients who are lean still have certain areas that have localized fat accumulation and if the physician determines there is enough fat to treat with SculpSure or CoolSculpting then the physican may decide the treatment is appropriate, but there has to be enough volume of fat to make the procedure safe. If there is too thin a layer of fat, the energy from SculpSure would reach the deeper fascial planes or the lining over bony prominences which lie underneath the fat in a normally built person, and this would be too painful to allow the patient to sit through the treatment. It might also subject the patient to possible injury from the heat not being absorbed by the fat and hurting other tissues, even the skin.  

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Shouldn't be a problem

Good candidates for SculpSure treatments are patients with realistic expectations of results from the body-sculpting treatment. The procedure is not geared toward weight loss, but toward body sculpting and defining problem areas. 

SculpSure laser does not penetrate to the surrounding tissue and muscles so as long as your BMI is under 30 you should be able to produce some good results as body builder/ fitness model. Please note that the optimal and maximized results from SculpSure is 24% fat loss, so a person with 18% body fat will have less fat to treat, thus reducing the percentage of overall fat removal. 

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Body Contouring procedures work best in healthy patients

The perfect body contouring patient is someone who is at or near their ideal body weight and trying to remove small localized areas of fat.  SculpSure does not remove all the fat, only 24% on average, so all patients, including body builders do not look unhealthy.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

SculpSure in Athletic / Bodybuilding Patients -- Consider VASER HI DEF AB SCULPTING

SculpSure is good for patients who are fit and need small problem areas treated. I have a significant number of patients who want six packs or more definition and do this procedure combined with VANQUISH/Cellutone.  If you want to further get low bf definition, try a VASER HI DEF 4D contouring six pack liposuction procedure.  Best, Dr. Emer

Ideal SculpSure Patient

SculpSure is ideal for patients who are fit and healthy, but need some help getting rid of stubborn fat. Therefore, it would be helpful to a bodybuilder or fitness enthusiast who needs help cutting down their body fat percentage. Whether they look lean or 'ripped' depends on how well-developed the muscle mass is beneath the fat. By reducing the amount of fat around the abdomen and flanks, more of the muscle would show.

Jennifer Levine, MD

Perfect Option

This would be a great application of the SculpSure technology. Many of my patients are competitive athletes, yoga instructors, runners, etc who have very low body fat. While you see on average 24% fat reduction in the areas treated, I believe this is more pronounced in people who have low body fat to begin with (ie you will see more muscle definition). You may also benefit from some radio-frequency skin tightening. 

Body building

lots of "thin" people have residual fat deposits, especially on lower abdomen and thighs. These would be obvious areas where SculpSure would provide better contouring than diet and exercise alone.