Sculpsure Pain Management?

Sculpsure being touted as causing little discomfort, etc. But most patients/reviewers say it's actually quite painful during treatment. What can doctors/patients do, if anything, to lessen the pain during treatment? And are certain areas more sensitive to Sculpsure pain than others? Thanks.

No pain management needed for Sculpsure

Hello and thank you for your question. Sculpsure is not designed to be intolerable. No pain medication is needed. Some areas are much more sensitive then others. The settings are increased or decreased by the patients tolerance. A higher setting does not mean a more successful treatment. The settings are increased by the patients zone. During the treatment you will feel depths of heating then cooling and those settings are keeping the patient in a range that is appropriate for the individual. The patient should not be in pain to have the treatment be effective. Hope this helps. Best, Dr Faraz

SculpSure not designed to be painful

Thanks for your question. Because SculpSure is intended to be tolerable, doctors don’t provide pain management during SculpSure. Every person’s pain threshold is different. If you typically don’t handle discomfort well, taking something over the counter may be a good idea. Or distracting yourself during the treatment i.e. reading, listening to music, may also help you feel less discomfort. Best, Dr. Katz

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Pain tolerated with SculpSure for fat reduction

SculpSure uses externally applied laser to heat the fat below the skin to kill fat cells. As the heat increases, a cool cycle is created by the device and the heat is slowly increased as tolerated. The physician/operator has the control to diminish the energy for those who find it uncomfortable.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

SculpSure is Well-Tolerated

Pain tolerance of course varies based on the individual, however SculpSure is typically very well tolerated, only causing minimal discomfort. The laser works by heating up the fat cells to a specific temperature necessary to cause destruction without damaging any of the surrounding tissue or structures. In order to minimize discomfort during the procedure, the machine is designed to cycle through rounds of heating and cooling, that is 25 seconds of warming followed by 10 seconds of cooling - just when you may begin to feel uncomfortable, the cooling kicks in and you normalize before the process repeats again. The entire procedure is only 25 minutes long and most people find it quite easy to tolerate, particularly relative to the benefit. If you still find it uncomfortable, you could take two Tylenol prior to the procedure to lessen your discomfort.

Dennis Gross, MD

#sculpsure/#Body Contouring/ #Hi Definition Procedures

Sculpsure is a noninvasive 1060nm diode laser treatment that removes up to 25% of stubborn fat in the treated area in 25 minutes.It is FDA approved for the abdomen and flanks. It is safe if you get pregnant in the future.
The body contouring effects are seen in as quick as six weeks with final results at 12 weeks. 
The results are permanent as long as you maintain your weight and health.
The laser targets and destroys the fat cells only which are then naturally removed from the body. Since the laser does not affect the skin or muscle it can be used on all skin colors and there has been no reported incidents of burns when treated by a properly trained physician. It is protective since it alternates heating and cooling. 
It has four applicators that can be customized to treat the areas of stubborn fat. 
If a second treatment is needed we wait at least six weeks and usually closer to 12. 

If you notice lumps after (which I've never seen) I would recommend massage. You should also alert your surgeon.

There is no downtime and you can resume your normal activities right after the treatment. There may be some soreness in the area for a few days for which you can take ibuprofen or tylenol. A cold compress can also be used.

Sculpsure is not used for skin tightening however some of her patients have seen this. If more skin tightening is needed we have combined this with thermi or Ulthera for a complete treatment. Sculpsure is recommended for stubborn areas of fat that are not being lost by diet and exercise. It is not a weight loss treatment

Since I have both a coolsculpting and sculpsure I am working on protocols of utilizing both of these depending upon what areas need to be treated and the response to the treatment. 
I have used sculpsure on other areas other than the abdomen with very good results. 

I also use a Vectra 3D imaging system to try and show people what their treatment areas could look like.

Since Sculpsure outcomes can be based on technique and experience, please see a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes body contouring to see if Sculpsure or other treatments are available to meet your goals. 

Take care,

Dr. Schwartz 

Myself and my staff have had the Sculpsure treatment with no problems

it does get very warm but then it cools down and then cycles. there is no reason you can 't take two Tylenol if you are concerned. we also have a TV in the room and encourage patients to look at their TV or do stuff on their phones to distract them and that works great. 

david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Does SculpSure hurt?

Thank you for the great question.  It's one of the first questions all our patients want to know.  Does it hurt?   I've had SculpSure and so have a large number of our patients.  At the point where you feel like you  are about to feel the pain, the cooling cycle starts and the patient feels fine.  Some patients have reported experiencing the heat as feeling like a menstral cramp. Out of all of our patients, we have only had one that has stated that it was not a comfortable experience.  She did finish though, she didn't want to stop.  The laser is devised to work with your tolerance for the absorption of the heat.  If you feel pain, it is to be turned down.  Also, some areas can feel more painful than others and luckily the laser's settings can be changed per applicator--so it can be completely indivualized to your body.  I hope this helps.  The results we are seeing are exciting and our patients have been very happy!

SculpSure Treatment Tolerance

Most patients that have been treated in our office usually describe SculpSure as tingling and similar to the effect of putting on too much Icy Hot. We talk to our patients to distract them, and advise them to bring headphones or a book to keep them occupied during the treatment. Everyone's tolerance is different and everyone's experience is different. 

Patricia DePoli, MD, FACS
Skokie Plastic Surgeon

Sculpsure Pain Management?

We have had SculpSure for quite some time, and have treated numerous patients, and both myself and my staff have also done it, and we have had very little trouble with pain management. Clearly, everyone's perception of pain, and their own pain tolerance can be extremely variable. However, the device allows us to vary the energy used, so that the goal is to get a patient to the point where they are feeling heat in the treated area, but not to the point where it is burning or extremely painful. As long as the patient knows what to expect, and care is taken to monitor them closely, we have found no need for any anesthesia or pain medication, and almost no one has had difficulty with the treatments. While some patients are more sensitive to pain than others, we have not found that any particular body area is more sensitive.

Craig Schwartz, DO
Leawood Vascular Surgeon

Sculpsure pain management?

I have a very low threshold for pain myself, but I was able to tolerate sculpsure without a problem. There was some discomfort,  but not excruciating pain. In my opinion ulthera is much more painful. I do not believe that certain areas are more sensitive than others and there is really nothing to lessen the pain other than distraction such as listening to music. I have been offering sculpsure for 7 months now and I have only had 1 patient who could not tolerate the treatment.