My corneal thickness is 512 microns. Am I eligible for LASIK?

I'm 25 yrs. I'm having myopia -4.0 and astigmatism -5.50 and my eye power became stable over two yrs. My corneal thickness is 512 microns. Am I eligible for LASIK?

Due to your corneal thickness and high astigmatism you may not be eligible for regular LASIK. However, as with most high prescriptions you should go into a consultation, do all the necessary exams and be evaluated by a board certified refractive surgeon.

City Of Industry Ophthalmologist

Corneal Thickness and Lasik

Your question about corneal thickness is a good one.  Adequate corneal thickness is necessary to be a good candidate for Lasik.  It is important to realize it is not the only criteria.  In addition to stability, and adequate corneal thickness,  good candidates also need to have healthy eyes and a normal corneal shape. There are other technical criteria that can only be obtained via examination. Being a good Lasik candidate is best determined by obtaining a consultation with an experienced Lasik surgeon.

Lawrence B. Katzen, MD
Boynton Beach Ophthalmologist

Eligible for Lasik

Other factors are also important, such as the pattern of your corneal curvature. The numbers you have provided are appropriate for Lasik.

Andrew Caster, MD
Los Angeles Ophthalmologist