Am I candidate for Lasik? -1.75 in right eye and -1.25 for left), I've just found out that my left eye has deteriorated to-1.5

Is my vision still considered 'stable', or should I hold off from having Lasik until there have been no further changes for at least 1 year? As i am getting married, I so want to do lasik this year only.one more thing, If i have -2 eye number then doctor will be correcting this particular number only or he does not require my number at the time of surgery since it will be corrected automatically whatever no. i have.

LASIK Candidate-Many Factors to Consider

Stability is an important thing to establish prior to doing refractive surgery.  This depends on a number of factors including your age, your refraction, and other associated findings.   For the FDA trials, a change of less than 0.50 diopters over the course of a year was considered stable.  Sometimes previous refractions and/or glasses may be helpful to establish long term stability.  Also, bear in mind that changes of 0.25 diopters fall within the range of normal fluctuation.

Bakersfield Ophthalmologist

Many factors to consider: shape of cornea, thickness of cornea, and stability of the refraction

There are many factors that determine whether someone is a candidate for LASIK or one of the other advanced treatments we offer. They include the shape of the cornea, the thickness of the cornea, and stability of the refraction. However, age is important as well as the clarity of the lens of the eye, as the eye works like a camera. If you are 20 or younger, you may still have vision that is unstable; however, young patients in general need a dilated refraction in order to get an appropriate number. Your vision changes may simply be a result of your focusing during the procedure so an expert needs to evaluate it. Most people in your prescription range will stabilize their vision in their early 20s and will be good candidates for LASIK or one of the other advanced treatments we offer. Customizing in particular requires specific, advanced testing which we would do to determine your candidacy. Thanks for your question, and make sure to seek out an experienced vision correction expert so they can explain to you the various options and nuances of this potentially life-changing procedure.  

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

LASIK candidate

Dear Kanika,

Happy to hear that you are getting married!

It is a good idea to have a laser vision correction procedure well in advance of your wedding: as luck would have it a lost contact or a red eye from consonants over worn in the frenzy of pre wedding activities may ruin the day.

I presume that you are over 20, again it is a presumption, not a requirement. In general by this time one's eyes have stabilized and and therefore there  is no reason to wait. Furthermore, if you have PRK, which is safer,  and not LASIK, it will be as if you never had anything done and you can have it touched up in the future.

Best of luck to you!

Liviu B. Saimovici, MD

Liviu Saimovici, MD
New York Ophthalmologist