I still have -0.50 myopia after Lasik. Should the doctor correct this?

I got Lasik eye surgery a few weeks ago. During the check the doctor found out that I still have astigmatism 1.00 in my right eye and that this should be enhanced in two months from now. However, in my left eye I still have -0,50 myopia, but he said that this is nothing so no need to correct. I know a lot of people with this small measure, but they still use glasses or lenses. Should he enhance it or is it normal to leave it like that? Thanks

It depends on your vision in the eye. Some people are able to see 20/20 even with -0.50 myopia in that eye. With additional surgery there's always a risk, if you're already seeing well out of that eye I may recommend leaving it like that since the myopia will actually help you with reading once you reach your 40's. However, if the -0.50 is causing you a lot of blurriness in vision or glares and halos at night, I would then elect to treat it.

City Of Industry Ophthalmologist

Lasik enhancement

The question is: Does correcting the 0.5 myopia with trial glasses in the office make you see significantly better? If so, then a Lasik enhancement should be done.

Andrew Caster, MD
Los Angeles Ophthalmologist