Will gaining weight affect my Tummy Tuck?

Hi I had a tummy tuck about 5 years ago; however my results are still great: if I decide to gain about 10 to 15 pounds will this mess up my tummy tuck result or will the weight be distributed elsewhere on my body?

Weight Gain Continues to Distribute in the Same Way as Before Your Tummy Tuck

I'm happy to hear that your results are still great 5 years after your tummy tuck! If you gain weight, the fat will be distributed where it usually goes. So, for example, if you found that your thighs and hips tended to show the signs of weight gain before your tummy tuck, that will continue to be the same now, after your tummy tuck. If you found that your midsection showed weight gain the most before your tummy tuck, then this will be the same now.

Also, do you have a naturally small frame or larger? 10-15 pounds may adversely affect your tummy tuck if you have a smaller frame, in that it can cause a minor pouch to develop. However, it may not be so noticeable if you have a larger frame.

The most important thing to know is that big weight fluctuations can really impact your tummy tuck results. It's better to maintain a stable weight in order to prolong your results.

I actually find that after about a year, if liposuction was done at the same time, then the liposuctioned areas are more resistant to weight gain than before the surgery. Since I almost always use liposuction with my tummy tucks, the tummy is also more resistant to weight gain. Why? Because the number of fat cells have been reduced.

Weight gain after tummy tuck

After a tummy tuck, you can gain and lose weight as you would prior to the surgery.  The distribution of the fat will be decided mostly by your genetics.  The core strengthening that you obtained via the tummy tuck will still be there and the skin removed will still be gone, however skin does stretch.  If you gain too much weight, you can certainly stretch out the skin of your abdomen.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Weight gain and loss after an abdominoplasty

Moderate weight gain or weight loss will not destroy your abdominoplasty but multiple fluctuations in your weight, up 40 pounds, down 40 pounds will adversely affect your body contour and skin elasticity. 

Weight Gain After Tummy Tuck

Gaining 10-15 lb should not "mess up" the entire tummy tuck however, the increase in weight will occur where there are fat cells and will not be distributed evenly throughout your body. If you tend to have more fat cells around your waist and flank area, you may not like your look from the weight gain. The increase in the volume of fat cells in that area may negatively impact the aesthetic result. You will start seeing the difference at a weight gain of 5-8 lb and if you don't like that look then don't gain more weight. Diet and exercise are important for overall health and aesthetics.

Best wishes

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon

Weight Gain after Tummy Tuck

Congrats on your great result.
I am interested to know the rationale behind the weight gain. Where you would gain weight is likely a product of your genes and your natural distribution. Some people gain weight in specific areas while others gain weight globally. I would expect you to gain weight in a similar pattern to how you did before your surgery.  Small changes in weight are unlikely to cause trouble. Big fluctuations can have more dramatic and long lasting effects.
Dr. Pyle

Jeremy Pyle, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Weight gain after tummy tuck

Moderate changes in weight are unlikely to cause enough change in your skin or deeper layers in a significant way. If you had liposuction of your abdomen and/or hips at the time of your abdominoplasty fat will likely tend to go elsewhere. 

Tummy tuck / abdominoplasty weight gain

With postoperative weight gain, your body will store weight in the same pattern it did previously.  So if you had "problem areas" previously, it will most likely show up there again.  However, it would be unusual for you to regain weight to look exactly like you did prior to your tummy tuck since that tissue is permanently removed.  Good luck!

Deborah Pan, MD
New Haven Plastic Surgeon

Will Weight gain affect my TT?

Most definitely! Weight gain affects everything. Keep your weight at your most optimal weight for health and appearance. There are food diet books everywhere, such as the South Beach Diet. If you have difficulty maintaining your optimal weight, remember that habits are hard to change, but they can be changed if you are serious.