Tummy Tuck with Muscle and Hernia Repair Covered by Insurance?

I need an umbilical hernia and abdominal muscle repair, and I would like to get a tummy tuck at the same time. I am pretty sure that my health insurance will cover the hernia repair. Is it possible for me to just pay the additional costs out of pocket for the tummy tuck portion of the surgery? Is this feasable? Would most surgeons agree to this? Thanks in advance for your insight!

Insurance coverage becoming more difficult to obtain for supposedly "covered" features

Health insurance companies are in business to take your premiums and hold onto your money as long as possible. Of course, many factors come into play whether your particular company will cover the medical problems that you mentioned. Much of it has to do with YOUR personal policy with the insurance company. It is becoming increasingly more difficult to have "covered" features in your policy covered!

To avoid problems, begin with a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in body contouring, particularly tummy tucks. After a thorough evaluation and physical examination by the plastic surgeon documenting your medical issues, have his/her office contact the insurance company and obtain in writing what the insurance company's position is. Do not be surprised if additional evaluation/treatment(s) by other specialties are required. Hopefully, your insurance company will prorate the medical treatments related to the hernia repairs from the cosmetic portion.

My very best wishes for a happy outcome.

Englewood Plastic Surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Your payment compromise should work fine

Combining hernia and muscle repair with a tummy tuck isn’t actually all that unusual. You’re correct in thinking that most insurance providers are likely to cover the cost of your hernia repair, but not the tummy tuck portion of the surgery. As long as you discuss paying for the additional costs out-of-pocket with your surgeon prior to your procedure, your insurance provider shouldn’t have a problem with both surgeries being performed at the same time. Of course, you should contact your plan administrator first to verify.

Nirav Savalia, MD

Nirav Savalia, MD

A tummy tuck is considered cosmetic and elective

It’s not unusual to perform a tummy tuck at the same time as a hernia and abdominal muscle repair. However, as you noted, the tummy tuck portion of the surgery isn’t likely to be covered by insurance, and you’ll need to pay out of pocket for that. I would start by checking with your insurance company to see if they have any recommendations for how to proceed. It’s possible you will need two completely different surgeons who have to be willing to coordinate on this issue with you. I do recommend looking for a board certified plastic surgeon for your tummy tuck rather than having a general surgeon perform both aspects of your surgery.

Possible, but ask provider

This is possible but you will have to talk to your insurance provider and surgeon to find out the details of payment. 

Possible, but ask provider

Yes, tummy tuck can be done at same time as hernia repair

Dear Donna,

It is quite common to have a tummy tuck at the same time as a hernia repair.

You will need to find a general surgeon and plastic surgeon who are willing to work together.

The insurance would cover the hernia repair and you would pay an extra fee for the tummy tuck

Ask your doctor who plans to do the hernia to rtefer you to a board certified plastic surgeon who can do the hernia repair.

Dear Donna,

Hernia Repair with Tummy Tuck

Hi M'dea, "Yes" is the answer to all of your questions, but keep in mind the benefits paid by insurance companies for vary greatly from carrier to carrier and plan to plan. If you are hoping that your health insurance will pay for for any procedure, I highly recommend checking with them ahead of setting up your consultation with a surgeon. If you want them to pay, you and your surgeon have to follow their rules. (paperwork, documentation and more!) And keep in mind the costs of the hernia repair is a small fraction of the cost of a tummy tuck, sometimes the trade off of the hassle of filing reimbursment claims and seeing the surgeon in your insurance company's network instead of the one you want doesn't end up being worth the small pay back. Just some things to consider! Good luck.

Hernia Repair with Tummy Tuck

Hernia repair at the tie of Tummy Tuck covered

The combination of umbilical hernia repair and tummy tuck surgery is very common. Most plastic surgeons will repair a simple (uncomplicated) umbilical hernia at the same time as a tummy tuck. Most insurances do cover the hernia repair, an estimated and facility fee for tha procedure. You will have to pay out f pocket for the tummy tuck portion. You will wan to check with your insurance provider and a board certified plastic surgeon. Best of luck.

Tummy tuck combined with hernia repair

This is a frequent question, thanks for asking. You are correct in your assumption that your insurance company will likely pay for your hernia repair but not your tummy tuck. It is not uncommon to perform these two procedures at the same time. You would be responsible to pay the out of pocket costs for the tummy tuck (including the facility fee and anesthesia time for the tummy tuck portion of the procedure). By combining the two procedures you will only have to go through one recovery period. Good luck!

Tummy tuck combined with hernia repair

Healthcare insurance coverage for tummy tuck and umbilical hernia

Thank you for your question. Yes, it is completely doable. Tummy tuck is an operation that can be used not only for cosmetic improvement but also for repair of an umbilical hernia and rectus muscle separation or diastasis. The insurance is typically only going to cover for the medically necessary parts, like the hernia or diastasis. You must, however, show that these are causing medical problems. In order for the surgeon, anesthesiologist, and facility to get paid, you are going to have to show a medical necessity and insurance preauthorization. Any cosmetic parts to the surgery will be your responsibility. Make sure that you visit with a Board-certified plastic and reconstructive surgeon with ample experience in tummy tuck surgery. That is your best bet. Hope this helps. Good luck and farewell. 

Tummy Tuck with Muscle and Hernia Repair in Melbourne, Florida

It has become increasingly difficult to predict what insurance companies will do regarding coverage for many procedures. While they are supposed to cover hernia repairs, they definitely will not cover any cosmetic surgery including a tummy tuck, and therefore, that part would be an out-of-pocket expense. If your insurance company is not being completely forthright or cooperative, you may be able to negotiate a prepay fee for the hernia repair with your surgeon. I would recommend discussing this at length with your board-certified plastic surgeon.