Can you make a hairline more feminine?

I am a female, but have a "M" shaped hair line. It yanks back in points near the upper edges of my hairline and then slightly points down in the middle. I have a large, flat forehead and it feel it really makes me look more masculine.

Doctor Answers 8


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I would be great to see the pictures as well. there are few options to improve the shape of hair line,  ranging from hair transplant to hair/scalp advancement. best wishes,

Changing the hairline with a forehead lift

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Your hairline shape and location, as well as the size and shape of your forehead can all most likely be reshaped by using pretrichial incision. It would be most useful if you would submit photographs to aid in the formulation of an opinion. Best wishes.

Forehead Lift to Change the Shape of the Hairline

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question about Forehead Lift. Pictures would be helpful.

In general, yes, the shape of the hairline can be altered with a forehead lift or hairline lowering, hairline advancement.

To be sure, see two or more experienced, board-certified Plastic Surgeons in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

I hope this helps.

How to alter my hairline?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Without pictures it's really hard to give you an appropriate answer.  If it's just your hairline you want to alter you may consider hair transplants or advancing your hairline forward by moving your hairbearing scalp forward.  This may not correct the width but may be combined with hair transplants too.

The advancement may not improve the width but can be combined with hair grafts.

If you have heavy brows, causing a masculine appearance, the hair line advancement incision would work the best.  An endoscopic or coronal lift will increase your forehead size.

Ernest Robinson, MD
Aliso Viejo Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 11 reviews

Hairline and forehead lift

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Great question.  Altering of the hairline can be done with a trichophytic brow lift incision, but not significantly so with endoscopic techniques.  A trichophytic incision could be used to decrease the relative size of the forehead, and also shape the anterior hairline, but this would require thick hair to hide the scar.  If there is thinning of the anterior hairline, hair transplantation may be needed. 

John Harbison, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 8 reviews

Forehead Feminization

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Central forehead augmentation by the application of bone cement through a pretrichial incision is the approach for changing the forehead shape. Whether the pretrichial incision can be used to sufficiently change the shape of the hairline at the same time remains to be determined by assessing pictures. But most likely this type of hairline change can be made at the same time.

More Feminine Hairline

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Your hairline can b lowered and the shape changed to reduce the size of your forehead using the Irregular Trichophytic Hairline Incision technique that we described many years ago. This would improve facial proportions and feminize your appearance.

Richard W. Fleming, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 40 reviews

More feminine hairline

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
 Depending on your scalp flexibility, quality of your hair, and the depth of your recessions, a hairline lowering operation might solve your situation. Certainly hair transplants could also work. A photograph or two would be helpful to  to answer your question in more detail. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.