7 days post tummy tuck, is it ok to resume melatonin for sleep?

I've taken melatonin for several years and it does wonders for helping me stay asleep (otherwise I wake up every 2 hrs). I stopped taking it 2 weeks before surgery as instructed, is it ok to start taking it again? I'm not on any pain medication at all (since day 3) and drains were removed today.

Melatonin

You should be perfectly fine to resume taking melatonin, it's always best to ask the surgeon who performed your surgery because everyone has different post op protocol, although I see no reason why it should be a problem!

Melatonin

Thanks for your question. I don't know of any reason you could not resume your melatonin, but I would advise you to always check with your PS for his/her guidance. Best of luck to you.

Richard Wilson, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Melatonin should be safe to resume one week after surgery.  If you have medication questions, you can always ask the phramacist who should know all of your current medications.

Tummy Tuck

In general, it should be safe for you to resume melatonin. The major interaction that you have to be concerned about is with the use of other sedative medications. Here is a link to the WebMD page describing possible interactions of melatonin with other medications. Please discuss this with your surgeon directly before resuming taking it.

Melatonin

I am unaware of any surgical side effect as far as bleeding risk or wound healing problems associated with Melatonin. It should be ok to resume its use after 7 days. I would caution you on the interaction of narcotic pain medications with melatonin. Sometime combing drugs with sedative effects can be dangerous. Since you are not taking any pain meds...your risk for any problems seems very very low if you have any risk at all. 

Can I start taking my melatonin a week after my tummy tuck

This soon after surgery you should check with your surgeon before changing any medicines you take. S/he will probably give you permission to start the melatonin again.

Tummy Tuck

It is great that you are asking this question. It is likely that your plastic surgeon will okay melatonin. But it is always wise to check on all supplements, herbal remedies, homeopathic remedies and of course prescriptions both before and after surgery. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Melatonin

Resuming melatonin should be no problem, but please check with your surgeon.  I'd avoid taking any medications that could oversedate you if taken with the melatonin.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

a week after tummytuck, resuming melatonin should be fine, BUT...........

suspect resuming melatonin at this point should be ok, but always check with the surgeon who did  the surgery about this or any other question.

Bruce K. Barach, MD
Schenectady Plastic Surgeon