Recommended Treatment for Prematurely Aged Hands and Forearms?

I'm 35, but my hands and forearms look much older. My fair skin ages faster than normal in response to sun exposure. (In constrast, the skin on my stomach is smooth.) First noticed my hands looked older than normal when I was nine.

At one point, I was 80 lbs heavier than now, but I lost the weight slowly and have kept it off for 4 years. If I pinch an inch of skin towards my underarm, the tops of my arms look somewhat normal. Any ideas for treatment? Even when it's 100 degrees out, I wear long sleeves.

Treatment for Prematurely Aged Hands and Forearms

One of the best ways to rejuvenate the skin on the hands and forearms involves no "down time" or expensive laser treatments and has been proven to produce even better results. The combination of micro-needling with human growth factor serums is unrivaled in the stimulation and production of new collagen and elastic fibers in the skin. Compared to fractionated laser treatments, micro-needling not only spares the epidermis, it strengthens it. Repeated "stimulation" of healthy keratinocytes leads to release of growth factors and cytokines that optimize cell-to-cell communication between keratinocytes, melanocytes, and fibroblasts. When these signals are boosted, fibroblasts differentiate to form normal collagen and greater amounts of hyaluronic acid. The result is thicker, healthier looking skin.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Keep Hands from Giving Away AGE!

Similar to your neck and decollate, sun-damaged and aged hands can make you look older than your biological age! We find great success in combining a variety of services to get the best results.
The Laser Genesis is a good
place to start, as it is safe for all skin types and will not cause a rebound
hyperpigmentation . This is Cutera's laser used for texture improvement and collagen remodeling and can be done on ALL skin types.   
 IPL treatments, such as the Cutera's Limelight, can target dark spots and uneven color and also improve the skin's complexion and texture.
To improve volume of the hands, Radiesse is the first and only FDA-approved filler for hand augmentation that  restores volume  while providing smooth, natural-looking results . Results last a year or more and we generally recommend 2-3  laser maintenance treatments annually

Ronald Moser, MD
San Juan Capistrano Physician

Reversing signs of aging on Hands and Forearms

I would strongly recommend a filler like Radiesse for the backs of the hands...plumping the skin in this area helps to disguise the tendons and blood vessels that become more visible with time and age and weight loss.  For the hands and forearms, to help with evening out color and texture I would recommend treatments with the Fraxel laser.  We treat many patients with these complaints. Often a patient's hands and arms look much older than their face and we strive to have you looking like one youthful whole person, not a collection of parts that don't really match up.

Grant Stevens, MD

Treatment for prematurely aged hands and forearms

You have 2 differing issues. The dyschromia of the skin and the wrinkling. The loss of volume in the extensor surface of the hands. For the first issue any IPL or Fraxel will improve. As for the volume defect, I recommend Enhanced Fat Transfer (EFT - fat grafts activated with stem cell therapy) over fillers. But if I were to use a filler I would use Radeisse, Aretfill, or PMMA.

From MIAMI DR. B

Options for Aging Hands & Forearms?

For the aging hands, we would recommend dermal fillers.  We agree that Radiesse is an option but prefer hyaluronic acid fillers such as Restylane, Juvederm or Perlane.

As for the forearms, we would not make a recommendation.  Based on how your forearms look, we do not think lasers will offer an appreciable improvement.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Fraxel Restore or Dual

There are several options for aging extremities, but my personal favorite these days is the Fraxel. It is versatile for both crepy skin as well as discoloration, and is very safe in this area.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Anti-Aging to the Hand Area

Non-invasive Radiesse injectionables can reduce the signs of aging and visibility apparent veins and tendons. Additionally another tell tale sign of aging is pigmented lesions or “age spots”on the hand. With the use of Intense Pulsed Light (IPL), these lesions can be improved.

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Improving Hand Skin Appearance

Some suggestions for more Youthful hands: Besides prevention with sunscreen daily and moisturizers, Retin-A is helpful as are treatments with some of the more impressive lasers such as the Sciton BBL/SkinTyte and certain Fractionated lasers. As you age, skin cells lose their ability to make collagen and progressively die off rather than reproducing themselves (“DNA programmed cell death with age”).The Sciton Laser Platform allows multiple laser types and wavelengths to achieve both dramatic improvements of your skin but also maintaining its youthful appearance by reversing this process. See below for more information.                            

Treatment for premature aging of hands and forearms

Thank you for the photos. Lines, wrinkles, and appearance of veins are usually treated with volume. Dermal fillers are very good at this. Solar damage, spots, etc. are often treated with a spectrum of modalities, microdermabrasion, peels of various intensity, and laser all have a place, depending on your condition and how aggressive you want to be. See your local board certified plastic surgeon. Together, you will come up with a plan.

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

Prematurely aged hands and forearms

This is a very common problem and many patients ask about this after the face, neck and decolletage are treated.
I would start with laser treatment, treating the brown spots first with the new PicoSure Focus lens array to treat the wrinkles and tighten the skin. The Picosure is the best and latest, trillionth sec laser that can rejuvenate the skin with minimal pain and downtime.
If this is not available you may use the IPL AFT and Pixel for skin rejuvenation.
I would also use fillers for the hands so the hands look fuller and younger.
To further tighten the skin I suggest Venus Freeze which uses radio frequency and magnetic pulse wave.This will be most helpful for the loose skin especially on the arms. This is comfortable and feels like a warm rock massage but require a series of treatment.
Dr. Yeo

Choon Kia Yeo, MD
Honolulu General Surgeon