How to reduce swelling after Tummy tuck/Lipo once the drains are removed?

I am 24 days PO after a TT, Lipo to the flanks and abdomen and a muscle repair. How do I reduce swelling after the drains have been removed (one week ago now)? How much rest is enough? How will I know if I have a seroma? Are there any supplements recommended? Thanks so much!

How to reduce swelling after Tummy tuck/Lipo once the drains are removed

After the Tummy Tuck operation the recovery period depends on your physical status, age, general health and condition mainly. The operation itself does not take too long therefore you receive a mild anesthesia. Since the anesthesia that you receive is mild; you will not have problems associated with anesthetic agents after the operation. This is especially important and can be achieved with only a team of plastic surgeons like we have. After the operation you will have stiches and bandages which will be removed after the 10th day. You can start to do your daily activities 3 days after the operation but we do not advise you heavy lifting, running or activities that require excess physical activity. The more you rest, the faster your recovery will be

Post Tummt Tuck Recovery

Good compression garment is key to controling the swelling. As far as your activity, check with your doctor to see if they have any concerns. Normally, the activity is advanced from week 3-6 and then as tolerated--meaning whatever doesn't cause pain is fine to do and gradually ease into it. Seroma is a fluid wave one can see or feel, but only when it is sizable.

N. Bill Aydin, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Postop healing questions

Hello, I would recommend asking all of the above questions to your plastic surgeon because every surgeon will have specific advice about activity, nutritional supplements, and other activities.  Seroma can present as a "sloshing" or "wave" appearance when the lower abdomen is pressed, but this is best detected and managed by your surgeon.

Reduction in Swelling Once Drains Have Been Removed?

Here are the answers to your questions:
1.  Reduction in swelling can be expedited to some degree with lymphatic massage, though I would talk with your surgeon first in this regard.
2.  Regarding enough rest; I tell my patients to increase activities a little every two-three days and listen to there bodies.
3.  Serums look like a wave of fluid like what is seen when one sits on an old fashion waterbed.  The t said if tense enough there will be no wave.  Also patients often report "flu" like symptoms and body aches when a seroma is present.   If your suspicious contact your surgeon.
4.  I recommend supplements after two weeks after surgery and even some during immediate recover (i.e.:  Probiotics), but use of supplements should only be done with the approval or recommendation of your own surgeon.