I had PRP injections in my face and my cheeks are full. Will this plasma go away quickly?

I just had a PRP treatment with injections and my cheeks are extremely full, apparently with 10 cc of plasma, no filler. I look abnormal. Will this plasma go away quickly? I was told a day or two.

PRP injections

The volume associated with PRP (platelet rich plasma) is typically absorbed by the body within several days, and same goes for the swelling associated with injections.  PRP stimulates your tissues to produce collagen, and produces a gradual effect over months.  I usually recommend a series of PRP injections, done every 6-8 weeks apart, for greatest result.  If you continue to have excessive swelling beyond 2-3 days after injections, you would do best to follow-up with your treating physician.  Good luck!

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

PRP is a fluid which will be absorbed by the body in a matter of days, but it is best to not overdo it to avoid fullness

Thank you for your question. I understand you had 10 ccs of PRP injected into your cheeks, which has left them feeling very full. You’re wondering if this will go away eventually.

I can certainly help you with this. I’m a Board-certified cosmetic surgeon and a Fellowship-trained oculofacial plastic and reconstructive surgeon, practicing in Manhattan and Long Island for over 20 years. I use platelet-rich plasma (PRP) in my practice every day for overall skin improvement and for various indications such as acne scars, fine lines and wrinkles, dark under eye circles, skin irregularities, and even for male and female pattern hair loss.

PRP is a very safe treatment, as it is derived from your own blood. PRP is a concentration of wound-healing and growth factors that are separated from your blood by being spun in a centrifuge. Now, with 10 ccs of PRP in your cheeks — 5 ccs in each cheek — I can certainly understand your concern over the amount of fullness you feel. The good news is that PRP is just fluid, so it is just a matter of circulation and carrying the fluid away, which will take about a couple of days. If you massage the area gently, it may help the fluid be absorbed more quickly.

In our practice, we routinely place PRP in the skin under the eyes, which can sometimes create a ballooning effect, but it typically goes away in about a day or two. I think it’s just a matter of patience to give the material time to absorb. I also suggest the next time you get PRP treatment that you ask your doctor to perhaps place less volume in the treatment area so that you don’t have to deal with this uncomfortable fullness.

I hope that was helpful and I wish you the best of luck!

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Swollen appearance following Vampire Facelift

Thank you for sharing your concerns. The vampire facelift (PRP with Microneedling) is excellent for improving the appearance of the skin. It sounds like you are swollen from the treatment; this should resolve in a couple of days. See your doctor if it is not improving.
Good luck.

PRP injections and the face NYC

PRP injections work amazing at stimulating your own collagen but is not a filler. The swelling should last just a few days.  If you are interested in fillers please consider Sculptra or Juvederm Voluma. Best, Dr. Green

PRP Facial Injections, Results

PRP is not a filler. The volume will subside in a few hours to days and go to back to your normal.  Long term, new collagen will develop but there is only a small amount of volumization effect.  PRP is not a filler and works best with fillers, sculptra, fat and lasers or skin tightening treatments.  Best, Dr. Emer.

PRP will resolve

The swelling from PRP injections is from the injection and placement of the PRP. The swelling should not last long.
PRP stimulates tissue and but is not filler that will keep you swollen.