What are the long term effects of Kybella? (photo)

I am a 61 year old male, and am concerned about sagging skin following the treatments given my age.

Kybella for results for patient in 60's

Without assessing you in person, it is impossible to say for certain. My best advice would be for you to schedule an in person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area. However, two factors to consider: 1) Kybella creates inflammation in the treatment area as it dissolves fat which does result in a mild tightening effect. 2) Kybella works over multiple treatments so you have time to decide if the removing fat to sagging skin ratio begins to become less beneficial to you. Hope this helps.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Kybella Stimulates Collagen While Dissolving Fat

Because the deoxycholic acid in Kybella both dissolves fat and creates inflammation in the process, we have found that inflammation to thicken up collagen production as well under the chin, so sagging skin may not be a problem once your double chin is gone. Also, Kybella is administered in several sessions, which gives the skin time to adjust and retract. However, if your skin is already sagging, you may need Ultherapy in addition to Kybella to tighten the skin. Please see a board-certified dermatologist.

Sabrina Fabi, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Kybella and its long term effects

Kybella works extremely well to dissolve the fat in the submental area. This creates improved contouring and definition to the chin. It is ideal for people that have fat with good skin tone. Because it destroys the fat cells, this provides a longer lasting result compared to other treatments. 

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sagging skin after Kybella

Thank you for your question derekwt9. Kybella is a great treatment for the double chin and improving jawline definition. The active ingredient in Kybella (deoxycholic acid) is produced in the liver and used to digest the dietary fat. When injected under the chin it will dissolve the fat and the body eliminates it naturally over time. A common question is if the fat is dissolved, will the overlying skin be saggy or wrinkled. This is a good question. In our experience we have not seen this and we do not see it on before and after pictures. The Kybella injection leads to an inflammatory response in the skin that may stimulate collagen and tighten the overlying skin. That being said, collagen loss and wrinkles occur naturally with age so people see them slowly over time. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Kybella Long Term

Hello Derekwt9,Kybella permanently destroys the fat cells at the treatment site, leaving the patient with results that are permanent (unless there is a big change in your lifestyle and dietary habits that cause the remaining fat cells to expand significantly).While Kybella is a proven solution for melting chin fat and improving facial contours, you will achieve slight skin tightening from Kybella injections, however individuals seeking more dramatic results may be advised to seek other treatment options.Hope this helps! Dr Faraz

Kybella and Long Term Effects

Kybella is a fantastic treatment for permanently dissolving the fat under the chin.  It will also tighten up the skin in that same area.  I often combine Kybella with Thermage for the best skin tightening results.  Since this is a permanent procedure I advise you to consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

No long term effects for Kybella.

No long term effects for Kybella.Thank you for your question. There are no long term effects with Kybella. If you think you have excessively loose skin than please see a doctor. A doctor will assess your treatment area and decide if he/she thinks you should have Kybella done in conjunction with other skin tightening procedures. Kybella will target the fat cells in the chin area and for most patients, their skin retracts successfully but for patients that have excessive skin in the area, there are other treatments that can be done with Kybella. I would suggest, ThermiTight or even Silhouette InstaLift, which is a new technology that corrects sagging jowls and loose neck skin. Good Luck!

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Kybella and the double chin

Kybella permanently reduces fat under the chin- We do see some slight tightening of the skin but it is not the same result as a facelift.  And reducing the fat could expose muscle bands or prominent glands under the neck and look worse in some patients.  But not everyone wants a facelift, and 67% of patients report that they have fat under their chin that they don't like.  If you can pinch extra fat under your chin, then the Kybella can be a help- I would recommend a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience in both to understand your options better. 

Jonathan Hall, MD

What are the long term effects of Kybella?

Sagging skin is definitely a concern and one reason to consider a different approach to addressing your neck. In people with alot of skin laxity, Kybella's reduction in the "double chin" can actually worsen banding or cords in the neck area. An experienced physician injector should be able to evaluate you and let you know whether or not you are a good candidate for Kybella injections. If you are not a candidate there exists a handful of other options to address the double chin. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella injection treats fat

Kybella is an injectable treatment for submental fat. The long term effect is removal of fat. The inflammation associated with the Kybella treatment in my experience does provide a MINIMAL amount of skin tightening but I do not recommend Kybella as a skin tightening procedure. Ultherapy, Thermage, Thermi, and Infini are much better for non-invasive skin tightening then Kybella. In a patient with skin laxity and excess fat in the neck, Kybella may not be the ideal treatment as it may result in worsening of the skin laxity if too much of the fat is removed.