How long do I need to abstain from sun exposure prior to getting dermabrasion ? I will also be getting liposuction too.

I have a dermabrasion surgical procedure and liposuction set in December 2016. How long should I abstain from the sun ? How long after the procedures do I need to stay away from the sun ?

Pre op for dermabrasion and liposuction

Hey Vladimak! I do not require my patients to avoid sun all together prior to treatment/procedure.  I make sure that they prep the skin at least 2 weeks, if not 1 month, prior to their surgery date.  I like to make sure they are using a Retin A, Vit C and E and a bleaching agent.  Post procedure, you will need to make sure and stay away from as much sun exposure as you can.  I like to do the in the fall due to patients being less likely to be outside.  If you do have to get outside, use an adequate sunscreen, sunglasses, scarf and hat.  Hope this helps and good luck with your treatment.  

Jackson Plastic Surgeon

Dermabrasion

Thank you for your question. Surgeons have different recommendations as each surgeon creates a treatment plan tailored to your skin and procedure. You should always be wary of the time you spend in direct sun exposure and you should always apply a healthy amount of sunscreen even as you war sun protective clothing. I suggest you call your board certified facial plastic surgeon's office to discuss any of the outstanding questions you have before the surgery. Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Spectrase sunblock after dermabrasion

I would suggest both Melarase creams and Spectrase sunblock after dermabrasion for about six weeks to avoid hyperpigmentation. Best, Dr. KaramanoukianLos Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Dermabrasion and avoiding the sun

Dermabrasion is a form of skin resurfacing in which the top layers are mechanically removed.The raw surface underneath needs meticulous care for at least 2 weeks after the procedure. It needs to be kept covered and hydrated. After 2 weeks sun protection needs to be worn and reapplied. The fresh skin is sensitive to the sun for 6-12 months. I recommend discussing with your surgeon strategies and tips to keep you on track for safe and happy outcome. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon