Can damage from traction alopecia be reversed?

I think I have traction alopecia from wearing my hair in a bun for several years. I still have lots of hair in the front of my hairline but I've noticed several hairs in this area are thinner than the hairs in the rest of my head (but still long). Assuming this is due to damaged follicles. If I stop pulling my hair back, can these follicles repair themselves and begin producing thicker hairs again?

Doctor Answers 6

Traction alopecia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Traction alopecia can be reversed if it has not been present very long. IF you had a hairstyle this month that caused traction, it will grow back. However, the longer and longer you go, the less likely it is to reverse. Hair transplantation is often the best option in longer standing traction. To know if it can be reversed, see a dermatologist who specializes in hair loss. If it is indeed early, I advise minoxidil, steroid injections, stopping the traction and fighting any seborrhoea that is often present. Get expert advice.

Vancouver Dermatologist

Traction alopecia cannot be reversed

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

traction alopecia can be reversed. It depends on many things. Your best option is to see a hair loss specialist for a consultation. 

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Traction alopecia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You should stop wearing your hair pulled back ASAP. If the hair is still present, but thin, it can usually turn around and regrow into fuller, thicker hair. If the hairs are gone, then usually they stay gone. You should have a consultation with a hair restoration surgeon to have your scalp and hairs evaluated, as well as discuss the nonsurgical options available to you!

Rae Lynne Kinler, MD
Chicago Physician

No More Bun for Now and See a Hair Loss Expert for Options

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I suggest seeing a hair loss expert to evaluate and go over your condition and provide you information about your best treatment options. There are great non-invasive options like PRP/progesterone and/or hair transplantation. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 204 reviews

Traction Alopecia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This would really depend on individual basis depending on your genetic makeup and the length of time and trauma to the follicles.  Your follicles may have scarred to a point where they cannot further grow terminal hairs. 

Minoxidil use consistently for 5-6 months is an option to see if you they  follicles can be revived.  If not, transplantation would be your other option as well as PRP and/or stem cells therapy.

Baubac Hayatdavoudi, MD
Beverly Hills Physician
5.0 out of 5 stars 42 reviews

Tractin alopecia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Damage from traction alopecia is uusually permanent if it lasts more than one year as the hair goes into a new hair cycle

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.