Canadian seeking breast augmentation either in Canada or USA

I’m a Canadian tossing between travelling to Toronto for a breast augmentation or if it would be worth it to travel to a major US city. Both options have excellent PS so I wonder if any Drs can weigh in on whether their Canadian patients tend to fair better staying within Canada or going to US? Either way I have to travel as I come from a smaller area with only one PS, so there’s not enough options for shopping around for the best PS for my needs and personality.

In general, if you are Canadian and are having a cosmetic surgical procedure it is advisable to stay in Canada. Although breast augmentation is an incredibly safe procedure, all procedures do have risks and god forbid you have a complication at least you will be covered by OHIP for any medical care needed. Hope that helps

Don't go too far from home

If there are good surgeons close to you, go there.  If that means Toronto, that's fine.  There are great surgeons in bigger cities, but there are also bad surgeons there too!  You still need to do your homework.  Make sure they are boarded by the American Board of Plastic Surgery or the Canadian equivalent.  Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Best doctor for Breast Augmentation

Board Certification is the litmus test for well qualified surgeons.  Finding a Board Certified doctor closest to your home would be my suggestion. 

John Burns, MD

Stay close to home!

There are many wonderful and talented plastic surgeons in Canada, all across the country, all of whom would be extremely capable of performing breast augmentation surgery. 

It's nice to stay close to home, family and friends around the time of your surgery.

Post operative visits for routine follow up visits,  and for, heaven forbid, complications will certainly be easier (and likely cheaper) at home in Canada.

Finally, something you may not know: due to various FDA and state regulations, Canadian plastic surgeons have much much more experience with certain types of breast implants that have only recently become available to our American counterparts. 

Whichever route you decide to go, please make sure to choose a plastic surgeon with good training, a great staff, and a top notch surgical facility.

I hope this helps!

Dr. Robert Shenker MD FRCSC

Location don't matter

As you will need to travel anyways, pick the surgeon that fits your expectations, and you think you can trust. it will not make any difference if the flight is 1 hour or 6. So choose the one you like.

Find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and discuss what will be the proper treatment to achieve the result you desires.

Regards,

Dr. Luis Redondo

Luis Eduardo Redondo, MD

Canada versus U.S. for breast augmentation

The most important factor to direct you should be surgeon experience and results.  Breast augmentation is a relatively low-risk operation and does not require a long stay wherever you decide to travel.  We get many Canadian patients who fly to Las Vegas for breast augmentation, as well as many other procedures.  We do warn them that they may have to return for certain issues, but this has not been a factor to date.  I would remember this, however, wherever you choose to travel for your surgery.  Best of luck with your surgery!

U.S.A. vs. Canada for Breast Augmentation

You will find equal expertise on both sides of border.  You should consider your need to have follow-up visits and choose a location that is more convenient for travel.  You should also consider the remote chance of an emergency during/after surgery that would likely be covered financially by your health insurance in Canada but not in the U.S. ($$$).

Michael Kreidstein, MD

Thank you for the question. I think that you'll likely do well either way, assuming you select your plastic surgeon very carefully. You will want to make sure that he/she has significant/demonstrable experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with.   In other words, ask to SEE lots of examples of their work AND preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.

Then, careful communication of your goals will be important as well. In my practice, I find the use of goal photographs and computer imaging very helpful during the communication process. You may find the attached link, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.