Is 27 too young for a hair transplant? And if I am on Minoxidil, should I stop beforehand? (Photo)

I am 27 looking to get a transplant but not sure should I wait for a few more years until the supposedly unhealthy follicles all die off first. Also I am currently on minoxidil should I be stopping it before the transplant if so for how long? And should I continue it after ?

Stopping Minoxidil

How soon you should stop and then restart using Minoxidil can vary pretty significantly depending on your doctor. But generally you can use it up until pretty close to the date of the transplant, then wait 2 weeks to a month before starting it up again. During the planning process of your transplant the doctor should indicate their preferred timeline for this.

Santa Monica Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair transplant at the age of 27?

Taking factors like your family history of hair loss into consideration, we usually perform the hair transplant procedure along with treatment of Finasteride in patients of the same age. Finasteride will help to thicken and repair thinning of 20 micron and above. Further, the usage of Finasteride will make a positive contribution to the results of the surgery and you shall continue using Finasteride along with and after the procedure. Minoxidil on the other hand should not be taken at least one month before the procedure. You may start using the foam version of Minoxidil 1 month after the surgery and the spray version 3 months after. 

Koray Erdogan, MD
Istanbul Hair Restoration Surgeon

If you are losing hair and want treatment options you should schedule a consultation with a doctor.

If you are losing hair and want treatment options you should schedule a consultation with a doctor.  Age may be a factor but you need an examination and a treatment plan.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Too young for transplant?

Age of 27 by itself is not too young to have a transplant but it looks as if your thinning is mostly on the top of your head.We want to be careful about transplanting to the top/crown in men under the age of 35-40 as you may continue to lose hair around the transplants resulting in an uneven appearance.I would recommend visiting a knowledgeable Hair Restoration Surgeon for a full in person evaluation.In the meantime continue the Minoxidil.

David Deutsch, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

27 years old with crown balding

The drug finasteride might reverse the crown balding so I might be worth trying for a year before considering a hair transplant

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair transplant and Minoxidil

Hair Transplant can be one of the most rewarding procedures for both men and women. The procedure from start to finish is not simply a financial investment in yourself, but also an investment in time. Full cycle growth from the initial hair transplant procedure to fullness of growth takes 9 months to 1 year, so choosing a hair restoration specialist the first time around is absolutely essential, otherwise your journey to thicker and fuller hair could take more than a few years.

You could do a hair transplant now and the best part about how far the technology has come now with hair transplants is that you can do some preventative maintenance. I would say that a hair transplant would be a great possible solution for you. 

You would have to stop using Minoxidil the day before surgery and we recommend waiting 2 months after the procedure before resuming the use of it because it can dry the scalp out in these areas. 

I would recommend that you schedule a complimentary consultation to completely assess your situation. 

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon