14 days post-op. Does transaxillary incisions look like they are doing well? (photos)

There is a hole in my right incision, I am wondering if it looks OK and normal? Should I be worried about anything, will it close on its own? There is no discharge or blood coming from the hole. But it was one small hole that looked like it got a bit bigger.

Transaxillary incisions

Dear Teehuynh,

Thank you for your clinical post and photograph. Two weeks following a transaxillary incision is very common to have small areas of the incision that have delayed or slowed healing. The axilla is moist and moist surfaces tend to get macerated and in addition there is a lot of movement in the axillary skin. The small gap in the incision is likely of no significance, however, it’s extremely important you visit with you operative plastic surgeon for them to confirm.

To find out more, please visit the link below.

R. Stephen Mulholland, M.D.
Certified Plastic Surgeon
Yorkville, Toronto

Incision Infection?

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your recent procedure! The incision seems to be small enough to be able to heal on its own, but it is best to continue to keep the area clean and dry to prevent infection. Should you find that you're having discharge or redness in the area, it's best to schedule follow up with your surgeon to evaluation the incision in person to rule out possible infection. Good luck and congratulations again!

Axillary Incision

You should see your surgeon to evaluate the open incision.  Most likely the incision will heal on its own with wound care that keeps the incision clean and dry. An examination by your surgeon will confirm what needs to be done and put your mind at ease.

Open incision

Thank you for the question.  This incision opening would probably close on its own as long as proper care is done.  Best to follow up with your board-certified plastic surgeon for your concerns.  Best of luck, Dr. Michael Omidi

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Axillary incision

The axillary incision looks slightly open in the photos maybe very superficial. Often a superficial wound will close on its own pretty quickly.  Best to be evaluated by your doctor.

Transaxillary Incision

You appear to have an irregular approximation of one end of your incision. The axilla does  have delicate skin and is an area fraught with moisture, friction and movement. So long as there is no redness, drainage or pain it will heal.with time these incisions do remarkably well. You should not be worried. 

Atul Kesarwani, MD, FRCSC

Suture split

A suture opened or tore some due to the motion in your arms.  This likely will heal fine if kept clean and covered with antibiotic ointment.  You should contact your doctor and let them know about this.

Hole in incision in arm pit

It looks like your incision may be spitting a dissolvable stitch. It is not uncommon and is usually nothing to worry about, but share your concern with your plastic surgeon as they know what stitches they used. 

Post op healing

Based solely on your photos, yes, you look to be healing nicely. That one spot is probably where the drain was, yes? It will simply take longer to heal as if must do so from the inside out. Keep an eye on it. It should catch up with the rest of the incision but if not, see your surgeon. 
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

14 days post-op. Does transaxillary incisions look like they are doing well?

Thank you for your question and series of photographs. I can see your area of concern, but overall your incision look to be doing well.  This small hole where your drain apparently was will need time to heal from the "inside-out." It should even out with the rest of your skin, but if it does not it may need to be evaluated to make sure that you do not have a stitch or other foreign body preventing its closure.  Hope this helps.