Tips or Tricks to Getting Breast Implant to Drop

I am one week post op and one breast has already dropped the other is extremely high and tight. I was told by my ps to push down and hold for a few seconds on the left implant several times each day. Is there any other tips or tricks? What about sport muscle creams? Anyone find anything that helps relax the muscle to speed up the process? I am embarrassed because even with loose shirts on I have been asked at work twice now why one breast looks larger.

Breast implants settling

It's not unusual for your breasts to heal and settle at different rates.  Your right breast seems a little more swollen, which again is not unusual.  You can gently massage the breast as your surgeon has advised, and sometimes we have patients wear a strap to help bring things down.  Time will do everything for you on its own, however, and this should be down within a month after surgery.  (PS, tell whoever at work is looking at your breasts to keep their eyes off your chest!) Best wishes, /nsn.

Thank you for your question. Your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, advice, predictions, and/or meaningful reassurance.

Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery and massaging the implants downward may assist in the dropping of the implants after surgery (for those patients who want to help with the settling of the implants). The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized. Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. It is very common for one side to settle faster than the other.

Sometimes, one or both breasts implants do not settle as planned and revisionary breast surgery becomes necessary to improve the outcome. On other occasions, if the long-term breast asymmetry is mild ( understanding that absolute symmetry is very rarely achieved), patients will need to decide whether proceeding with revisionary breast surgery is worth the potential downsides associated with additional surgery.

Again, best to follow your plastic surgeon for more specifics. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.

Tensor Bandage Wrapped Around Top Part of Breasts

The full results of your surgery are still not apparent as it generally takes about three to four months. By that time, your breasts will have dropped and tissue expansion will create a more natural breast contour, with more fullness in the lower portion of the breasts. Your implants won't be sitting so high. Please wait until then to evaluate your results. You can help the process by wearing a tensor bandage wrapped tightly around the top part of your breasts, although you should ask your surgeon if this is okay first.

Implant Settling

It is normal for one breast to drop before the other. Gentle massaging may help. It could take a few months before you see your final results.

Massage after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.If you find that your breast is tight and particularly if you went up a few cup sizes, then breast massage will help your implants settle. I typically recommend waiting a week as it sooner may be too uncomfortable. However, if you can tolerate it earlier, then you can do so. I also recommend lymphatic massage as this helps to reduce swelling much faster in the breast.
As far as how to massage, I recommend displacing the implant in all four directions (up, down, left and right). Example, pinch the breast on the top to displace the implant downwards. For the lymphatic massage, it is much more of a light gentle touch. We often recommend a massage therapist to help with this or we show patients how to do this at home. You can repeat this several times a day for the first several months.

The Unsettlind Wait for Breast Implants to Settle

Assuming that your Plastic surgeon created the same pocket for the implants, put them in and verified symmetry while you were placed upright - even when all of this is routinely done, many women still have breast asymmetry.

The reasons? 99% of women start by having breast asymmetry. Adding the same implant to already asymmetric breasts will not correct the asymmetry. In fact the father a breast is off the plane of the chest wall, the more the appearance of asymmetry is magnified. Second, breasts do heal at different rates. A week is a VERY short time and I would not panic over it.

Ask YOUR surgeon what he would do. Personally, I would prefer you not wear any bra quite yet - to allow the left implant to come down and I would initiate careful massage at 2 weeks' time.

If the situation persists in 2-3 months only then would I recommend you begin considering other modalities. In the vast majority of cases, gravity always wins and things correct nicely.

Good Luck.

Dr. P. Aldea

Trying to get breasts to even out. One week post breast augmentation.

Thank you for the photos. You are still very early in your post operative course. Breast implants tend to start dropping into place after 3 to 4 weeks. They usually will get to their final position in 6 to 12 months. One will drop faster than the other, also the shape may go through changes. Please follow your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon's post op instructions. For example; we like message, but some surgeons will have you wait, or do it in a specific manner. Please also let them know your thoughts and concerns.

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

Its only one week

Thinks look great for this stage. Its only one week out, so give it time. Full descent and relaxation can take up to 3 to 6 months.

Zach Barnes, MD
Bakersfield Physician

Best to wait--may resolve with time!

It’s not unusual for patients to have transient superior malposition of breast implants following breast augmentation surgery. In the vast majority of cases, this resolves with the passage of time.In most cases, it’s related to swelling, skin tightness and muscle spasm.Superiorly malpositioned breast implants usually drop into normal position as swelling and muscle spasm disappear.In some cases, this may take as long as two to three months to occur.

Superior compression bands and mechanical massage may help breast implants drop more quickly.These maneuvers apply downward pressure on breast implants and help expand the inferior breast pockets.It’s important to realize that the majority of breast implants will eventually drop in to normal position without any treatment.

In rare cases, surgical expansion of the breast pocket may be necessary but shouldn’t be undertaken for at least six months following surgery.This allows adequate time for conservative measures to work.

In someone who’s only one week postop this type of superior breast fullness isn’t unusual.It’s important to maintain close contact with your plastic surgeon.Your surgeon should be able to discuss your concerns and alleviate your anxiety.

Implant position

TIme will be the best method to allow the implants to settle.  Creams do not do anything, massage may keep the pockets open.