Possible to Reduce the Size of an Adam's Apple?

Thyroid cartilage reduction? I am a male with a large adam's apple (see picture). I would like it reduced in size, while necessarily maintaining protrusion. Is this a particularly risky procedure? Can it be performed without making an incision directly over the adam's apple (maybe above it instead)? Would you do it?

Adam's Apple Reduction

Adam's Apple Reduction requires careful thinning of the voice box cartilages. It is not commonly done in most males but is extremely commonly done in sex change (gender reassignment) surgery. You may want to consult a surgeon who specializes in these procedures.

Safe and strait forward procedure

Yes, this is a relatively quick surgery that can done under local anesthesia (don't have to go to sleep) through a small incision at the top of your neck.  To make sure it is as safe as possible I would use a small camera in your throat to watch your vocal cords through the surgery.  

Bryan Rolfes, MD

Bryan Rolfes, MD
Minneapolis Otolaryngologist

Adam's apple reduction

Thank you for your question and photograph.

The Adam’s apple can be reduced by having it shaved down which is why it is also known as “tracheal shaving”. This procedure is done by making a small incision in a crease in the neck and shaving the thyroid cartilage down to give a smoother, more feminine appearance and will result in minimal scarring. I would recommend scheduling a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to have a physical examination done. Best of luck in your endeavors!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Adam's apple reduction.

For more than 35 years I have done this procedure hundreds of times without any complication in both males, females and transgender patients. It is safe and the incision is placed in a crease above the Adam's apple. It can be done under local anesthesia without pain.

Adam's apple reduction surgery.

The adam's apple prominence can be reduced by shaving down the cartilage. Historically this was done via an incision in the skin right over the cartilage. It is now done via a longer but less visible skin incision higher up along the natural neck skin crease that is easily visible in the photo that you submitted. It is not a commonly performed procedure.

Aaron Stone, MD