I'm having pain in my breast 7 years after my saline implants. Why might this be happening?

I have been having pain in my breast lately and not sure what is going on. They are sore to touch, if I try to run or bounce the pain is worse. It seems to be in the area below my breast in that tissue. I've not changed any activities so nothing new going on. It's been going on for about 3 weeks now. It's almost as tho I'm pregnant the same tenderness but no chance of that. 2 years ago I started having a aching sensation that comes and goes in my upper arm in between the shoulder and elbow.

Pain 7 years after Breast Augmentation

Sorry to hear you are having pain. Has your breast changed in shape or form? Does it feel harder or tighter? It is possible you are developing a capsule. I suggest you see your surgeon to evaluate it.

Good Luck!

Pain after BBA 7 years ago

Hi

Thanks for your question.
It sounds like you have little bit of inflammation in the capsule around your implants and it may be worth limiting your activity for a while and trying some anti inflammatory medication to see if it settles down.

Best wishes 

Gerard Lambe, MD
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Pain 7 Years After Breast Augmentation

Thank you very much for your question.

It's a bit difficult to know exactly what's going on.  You may be developing a capsular contracture.  I recommend you contact your surgeon for an in-person evaluation.  Best of luck!

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Capsular contracture following breast augmentation

It is possible that you have developed a capsular contracture.  I would recommend seeing your plastic surgeon for evaluation.  It can be corrected, but requires an operation.

For more information on breast augmentation and possible complications, please visit the link below.  

W. Bryant Walker, MD
Jackson Physician

I suggest you see your surgeon for an evaluation.  You may have breast capsule issues that need to be addressed.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Breast pain

It would be difficult to advise without a physical exam. Common reasons for pain after augmentation can include capsular contracture or muscle strain. Most likely, this could be the reason,  but more important reasons should be rules out. Imaging may be needed.

Kiran Polavarapu, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants - sore after 7 years

Thank you for your question about your breast implants.

• The likely explanation is that you are developing a capsular contracture.
  • If you are near your original surgeon, return to see her/him.
  • If not, find a plastic surgeon near you to consult -
  • Often a low grade contracture can be managed with medication -
  • Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes

Pain in the breasts

This could be either fibrocystic disease if the pain is in the breast tissue (which in my experience is usually due to estrogen dominance and Staph).  Or it could be infection around the saline breast implant including a possible infection in the capsule.

Susan Kolb, MD

Reasons for late onset breast pain many years after a breast augmentation

There are multiple reason why a person may have breast pain and these reasons may or may not be related to having implants.  First of all, you should be seen by a medical professional.  This forum is not for diagnosing patient concerns.  That being said, late onset breast pain if related to the implant is likely from stretching or pulling of the breast capsule.  Sometimes the capsule can tear and this can cause pain.  I've seen that before in a patient doing yoga.  The treatment is rest and anti-inflammatories.  It typically gets better over a few weeks.  Sometimes women just get breast pain.  It may be due to fibrocystic changes in the breast (unrelated to the implant).  These cystic changes can be painful during certain times of the menstrual cycle and sometimes things like caffeine or chocolate can also aggravate them.  Maybe it's not the breast at all but the ribs.  There is an issue called costochrondritis which is inflammation of the cartilage junctions between the ribs.  Again rest and anti-inflammatories is all there is to do.  Lastly all women over 40 years of age should have a mammogram.   It is always best to stay up to date with proper screening.  Whenever there is new pain, the best thing to do is to go see a medical professional and have a proper examination.  Best of luck

Jason E. Leedy, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Pain post 7 years

This probably is due to encapsulation and sometimes sensory nerves get bound down in the scar tissue ie capsule and when your breast swell as with your period they become sore.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon