Thinking About Getting a Eyebrow Transplantation Surgery..would It Look Natural As Normal Eyebrows?

I am thinking about getting an eyebrow transplantation surgery. The doctor would take the hair follicle on the side or back of my head and transplant it into the eyebrow region. My question is would it look completely natural? Would people be able to tell that I had an eyebrow transplant? Would the transplanted hair grow in different directions and I heard the eyebrow region can become red and you can get white heads. I am afraid of this happening-is it common?

Natural Looking Eye Brow Transplantation Surgery

Eyebrow transplantation surgery can be transformative, but the procedure should be done by a plastic surgeon with exceptional skill. It is a detailed process and donor hair is placed one-by-one into tiny incisions. When they hair follicles are implanted, care should be taken so that they are embedded at the correct orientation so that the hairs grow in at a natural angle. For best results, the donor hairs should be harvested from a location where the hairs are finer. By transplanting finer hair, the new growth is more likely to be consistent with your original eyebrow hair.

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Skilled surgeons make eyebrow hair transplants look natural

A skilled, experienced surgeon should be able to transplant hairs on your eyebrows to produce natural-looking results. Ask to see before and after photos of previous patients so you can see whether the surgeon's work is what you're looking for. Redness or white heads are possible for a short time as healing occurs, but each patient heals differently.

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyebrow Transplant

The procedure must be done correctly for it to look as natural as it can be. We opt to use hairs from the back of the neck as it matches the eyebrow hair best. The hair has to be placed in the correct angle for it to look very natural. Eventually with the correct procedure it will grow in the very same direction as the surrounding eyebrow hair.

You can also try Latisse to your eyebrow to make your eyebrows fuller.

Colin Hong, MD

Eyebrow Hair Transplantation

The eyebrow transplant procedure is a highly technical and aesthetically
demanding procedure.  If performed properly, the results can be quite
natural.  I strongly suggest you do your homework and make sure your
surgeon has experience with this procedure.

While I have respect for Dr. Umar’s work, I do have to be clear-  it has been my extensive experience, in performing over 600 eyebrow transplants, that the best donor hairs are those from the middle of the back and/or sides of the head, as they have the most reliable rate of regrowth.  Yes, the hairs need to be trimmed on a regular basis but this is a small price for most of my patients who are so happy to have the kind of results we are capable of achieving.  Having performed a fair number of revisions of prior eyebrow transplants, many needed on patients who underwent “state of the art” FUE procedures, it has become clear that what is most important is how these grafts get placed into the eyebrow, rather than how the grafts are obtained.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyebrow Hair Transplant

Eyebrow transplantation done well looks extremely natural, with the implanted hair placed at the correct angle and direction. As an FUE doctor, I generally use donor hair from the nape of the neck or the legs to create the best aesthetic outcome (this caliber of hair blends best into the eyebrows). These donors also don’t grow as long as the hair from the back and sides of the head, thus there is less maintenance required. Bumps and pimples are a normal part of the healing process and will eventually subside.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Eyebrow hair transplants

If the surgery is done correctly, the result can look very natural.  In our practice, we select hairs that best match the eyebrow hairs from the back of the neck.  The hair needs to be transplanted at precisely the correct angle to look natural.  If done correctly, the hair will grow in the same direction as the surrounding eyebrow hair.  Redness and whiteheads are uncommon, but can happen.  Usually it is an isolated episode and these kind of issues do not continue for a long period of time.

You may want to try Latisse for your eyebrows first.  Although it is not permanent, it could be an easier way to make your eyebrows fuller.

Thank you for your questions.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Eyebrow transplant

One can get a natural looking result but the work has to be done expertly with consideration for the variation in hair direction of the eyebrow hairs. The result has to have maitenence as the hairs will grow continuously  like scalp hair and periodic trimming is necessary. If the patient is female , I usually suggest having permanent make done first.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon