Is There a Hole Under my Breast? (photo)

I am 5 weeks post op tummy tuck and breast lift with no augmentation. I am healing nicely. However when i lift my breast i have what appears to be a hole. There is no leakage and I feel like it is closed it's just the way it looks. My next follow up is May 17th. Is this ok or should I be worried?

Is There a Hole Under my Breast?

At the junction of the inverted T flaps the suture area sometimes splits. Wound care allows healing. But DO NOT wait til May 17 to see your surgeon! 

Puckering common

Chi Chi,

This looks like puckering of the skin which is common with this technique.  It may stretch a little and go away in the next few months.  You are still early in the healing phase at this point.  I would send your photos to the nurses at your surgeon's clinic and get their opinion.  By the way, your result looks good so far.

D'Arcy Honeycutt, MD
Bismarck Plastic Surgeon

Time will help!

Your pictures indicate that you’ve undergone a mastopexy with a lollipop incision.  When this approach is utilized, the vertical limb is sometimes shortened to improve contour.  This maneuver utilizes a gathering suture which often results in puckering of the ends of the closure. This usually improves with the passage of time.  Rarely a scar revision is necessary.  If you’re concerned about this problem, it’s important to consult your plastic surgeon.  Your surgeon should be able to explain the situation and formulate an appropriate treatment plan. 

Healing problems after a breast lift

Although wound healing problems are uncommon after a breast lift, they may occur. The problem in the picture shows some delayed healing at the inverted T. That particular portion of the closure is subjected to the most tension and can result in some mild wound separation. The best thing to do is to consult with your surgeon. Typical areas of mild wound separation usually heal without any issues and local wound care is all that's needed. In the unlikely event that the scar is unacceptable then a scar revision can certainly be performed. I hope this helps and good luck.

Jason E. Leedy, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Wound healing problem after a breast reduction

Wound separation and marginal ischemia are not normal but are also not uncommon especially at the base of the inverted T.  This area is under the most tension and furthers away from the blood supply. You should be evaluated by your plastic surgeon, debrided as needed and placed on a wound protocol to avoid problems while healing.

Not so much a hole as an indentation

You had a vertical, or "lollipop" lift, procedure, and what you are seeing is and indentation at the bottom of the vertical incision that is very common with this technique, especially early on.  While it typically resolves over time as the breasts settle, if it does not, it is usually tucked up in the fold under the breast and presents little problem for patients.  If it does create an issue, it can very easily be revised, usually under local anesthesia.

Is this a hole under my breast after a lift?

Thanks for the photos!  You look like you are having a nice result!  This type of hole is not that unusual after a breast lift.  As long as you don't detect any signs of infection such as heat, redness, tender to the touch, oozing, etc, I wouldn't consider it an emergency.  I would follow up sooner than 5/17 with your surgeon just to rule out any other possibilities that only a physical exam would reveal.  If it doesn't correct itself over time, you may want to consider a small scar revision.  ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

"Hole" After Breast Lifting?

Thank you for the question and pictures. These types of “holes” are not infrequently seen and probably not much to worry about. However, your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to specific advice and/or reassurance.

Apparent hole at lower end of vertical scar

Hi Chi Chi,

An internal stitch is often used to control the shape of the lower breast in a Vertical Reduction (Lollipop scar technique). This usually leaves a depression that looks like a hole just as your photo shows.

Usually this smooths out but it can take six months or more.

I ask my patients to come in for review at six months. If the puckering is still present I offer them a small (usually local anesthetic office procedure) revision that corrects the dimpling.

I wouldn't worry too much just at present but I would touch base with your surgeon just to let her / him know what is going on.