What can I do with the radiesse overfill? (photo)

Had restylane injected under my eyes for past couple of years no problems. Had juvaderm in the corners of my mouth & naso folds-didn't work. Wanted that hollow cheek so used radiesse to create some cheeks & lift the naso folds. Folds got WORSE,now have a really fat, wide, unrefined face. Can I lipo some of the malar fat? Face lift? Buccal pad removal? Also, I was looking to get rhinoplasty to refine my nose, but am worried since the radiesse has really messed with the proportions of my face

Doctor Answers 7

Unhappy with Radiesse

I am sorry about your Radiesse experience.

The filler was put in to plump up your inner cheeks, losing your sculpted look.

Wait - Radiesse slowly absorbs over 9+ months. Your true face will return.

Doing more now may make a bad, temporary situation permanently worse.

Hold off on the rhinoplasty until you see your face again.

See a Board Certified Plastic surgeon specializing in cosmetic treatments from now on.

Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

What can I do with #Radiesse overfill?

Unfortunately, not much.  Unlike the hyaluronic acid (HA) fillers that can, at least in theory, be modified post-injection with the use of hyaluronidase, there is no known material that can "reverse" or "erase" Radiesse.  Radiesse is generally an excellent filler and has become my preferred filler for many of the areas you describe (malar eminence, nasolabial folds).

However, you've had a lot done to your face and, at this point, I would advise that you take a break from doing anything else until your body has had a chance to resorb a lot of what was injected.  At that point you can reassess and decide what, if anything, you want to do next.

I would also advise consultations with board-certified plastic surgeons before proceeding with any surgery, aside from the benefits of doing so even for the injectables.

I hope that this helps and good luck,
Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 125 reviews

What can I do with the radiesse overfill?

Its best you wait until your body has metabolized Radiesse naturally then having it surgically removed, you could make this issue worse doing so

George T. Boris, MD, FRCS (account suspended)
Los Angeles Facial Plastic Surgeon
3.7 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

Radiesse Overfill

Hi ES. You had a much more natural appearance 3 years ago. If you had lost volume after that, but before the Radiesse, it's possible that your injector did not have a keen eye for where the product needed to be placed to keep you looking natural.

Injection procedures are as much art as they are science which is why prices vary from office to office. If you are looking for cheek volume alone, another good option is Sculptra, which may look more natural for you. The results can also last up to 2 years.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD
Los Angeles Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

What can I do with the radiesse overfill?

From the photos provided, the face appears over-filled without the aesthetic shape that best defines a naturally, beautiful, youthful and feminine face. This points out the most important factor in selecting the plastic and cosmetic surgeon to perform cheek augmentation with fillers...a complete understanding of the aesthetic beauty principles that define what make a face more attractive. Fillers add volume and if this volume is added in the wrong place and/or in the inappropriate amount the face will not be made more attractive.

There's no way to dissolve the Radiesse but it can be removed via micro-liposuction or in the "worst case" just left alone to disolve on its own, typically within a year. Moving forward you might consider becoming familiar with the beauty principles for the female face as a means of selecting where and by whom your fillers are provided. We prefer using Perlane for cheek augmentation.

Francis R. Palmer, III, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 25 reviews

What to Do For Overfilled Face (with Radiesse)?

Hi ES,

It is not the Radiesse per se that has "messed the proportions" of your face, but rather the artistic vision of the injecting physician. The best course for you is to allow the Radiesse to dissipate over time, and then seek a physician injector with good artistic vision. I would not recommend the removal of any facial fat. Rhinoplasty can be performed, but again it is most important that you choose your rhinoplastic surgeon most carefully. Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 36 reviews


Way overfilled in many areas. Radiesse can not be dissolved, wait for time to dissolve it. Would not recommend liposuction of any fat from the face because when radiesse disappear, the face will look hollow.

You did not need any filler to begin with. Fillers are way over used

Samir Shureih MD.FACS


Samir Shureih, MD
Baltimore Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.