What exactly is the problem with my eye/eyebrow and what can I do to fix it? (photo)

One of my eyebrows is much higher than the other. It alters my smile and face and leaves me looking weird or disfigured in pictures and in person. It comes out especially when I smile, and the more facial expression I use, the worse it gets. It is noticeable when relaxed and almost feels like one side is constantly raised. I can even raise that sides eyebrow but not the other It makes me EXTREMELY sad and self conscious. Is this fixable and what exactly is the problem?

What exactly is the problem with my eye/eyebrow and what can I do to fix it?

Directed BOTOX injection by a true expert injector can either raise the lower one or depress the higher one...  

Eyebrow asymmetry

Thanks for posting your question and photos!
Your left frontalis muscle is probably exerting a stronger pull on your brow than the right. Directed Botox treatment should be able to improve this greatly. You will need to keep up on Botox injections.
Best wishes!

Asymmetric Eyebrows

Eyebrow asymmetry can often be improved with either a completely one-sided brow lift or a brow lift that raises one side more than the other. The method chosen will depend on what other issues you wish to correct. Since it will vary depending on your specific situation, a consultation with a board certified facial plastic surgeon is necessary to determine the best approach.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Brow asymmetry

Raising one brow higher than another is not an uncommon situation.  There could be some underlying muscle or nerve issue (very rare) that should be address by a doctor you do consultation with.  However, most common cause of this kind of asymmetry is just a persistent habit of overusing one side of your forehead muscle over the other.  No need to despair.  This kind of habit can be corrected with 1-3 treatments of Botox.

Best wishes!

Konstantin Vasyukevich, MD

Why are my eyebrows positioned and move differently on one side.

It is not uncommon to have some difference in brow position and movement. Independent controle of eyebrow movement is a gift that meny actors and actresses possess. You have to see a plastic surgeon to evaluate the function of the muscles involved in the brow position. The brow position depends on the tone of the frontal is muscle in the forehead, the lateral part of the orbicularis on the side of the eyes and the corrugator muscles between the eyebrows. Botox can be used to modify the tone of these muscles and change the brow position.

Brow asymmetry can have many causes

Before you ask someone to fix your problem with Botox, be sure to to first inquire as to the cause.

You are describing a frontal branch of the facial nerve palsy (the nerve going to your brow on one side doesn't work) which can have have many causes and many solutions.

While Botox may be your best option, first see a plastic surgeon who is interested in finding the underlying cause and all the possible solutions.

Armin Moshyedi, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Botox may lower overactive eyebrow and help brow symmetry

It is possible to use small amount of Botox on the higher brow side to lower the brow.  This is technically sophisticated and should only be done by a very experienced Botox injector. Please consult a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in Botox injections.