What is the Best Compression Garment to Wear After Underarm Liposuction?

I just had underarm liposuction and my Dr said everything went well now we just have to wait for the results. I already purchased two compression garments that have short sleeves and can close over my bra. I want to make sure I am using the absolute best compression garment as I definitely want the results to be great.

Best Compression Garment

Compression garments type and when applied varies from plastic surgeon to plastic surgeon and not dependent usually on the type of lipo performed. I would recommend following your plastic surgeon's advice. In my practice, A compression garment placed in surgery immediately after liposuction (steristrip protects the sutures) is recommended and beneficial after liposuction because:
  1. It restricts the amount of edema that forms and hastens its resolution by mechanical pressure.
  2. It decreases the amount of bruising.
  3. It assists the loose skin in retracting or shrinking.
If bands are present then you need to change garments - see your plastic surgeon.
It is common to have weight gain due to edema, serum that collects in the area, and the tumescent fluid that was injected. This will resolve over time. The more you wear the garment initially, the quicker this fluid resolves.
Edema: a condition characterized by an excess of watery fluid collecting in the cavities or tissues of the body.
The length of time that the garment should be worn varies depending on the amount of fat removed, the elastic nature of your skin, how much loose skin remains, and other factors. Your surgeon would give you the best advice, however this is the general routine for my patients.
The first garment should be fitted for you in the office prior to surgery and applied in the operating room. Often it will become loose as the edema is mobilized, and then it will need to be replaced. Spanx is a reasonable compression garment if it gives enough support and is the right size. I have my patents bring them in so I can confirm that it fits well.
Most important advice is to listen to your surgeon, as he or she knows how much fat was removed, the elasticity that remains in your skin, and amount of skin redundancy.
I recommend that my patients wear their garments for a minimum of three weeks full time then for twelve hours at a time (day or night). If there is not a lot of redundant skin, this continues to a maximum of six weeks.
To be effective, the garment needs to fit snugly—but not too tight as that can make it difficult to sleep or cause pressure problems (inspect your skin when it is exposed if you are uncomfortable). As the edema resolves it is common for patients to switch to a smaller garment that fits. A Spanx-type garment would work fine, rather than ordering one or paying more at your doctor’s office. For Small or moderate amounts of liposuction it probably doesn't make a difference if a garment is used or not.

Compression Garments after Underarm Liposuction

Compression garments should be worn snugly covering all areas of liposuction.  The areas of liposuction should be inspected to ensure no fluid collections and that the areas are smooth.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Compression Garments for Liposuction

Most experienced Lipo surgeons will have their "favorite" compression garments. There are many brands. Most important, is that it fits tightly (not painful), and does not crease in the area that you had liposuction. You want the skin and tissues to "stick" down smoothly to the underlying fascia. This means good posture and mental awareness of how you hold your body for about 6 weeks after lipo.

We put our patients in a compression garment right after surgery, and have them wear them 24 hours a day (except to wash) for 2 weeks. At the end of 2 weeks, I have our patients wear their garment "as much as possible" for 4 to 6 weeks total. Most of our patients end up liking to wear them.

We typically use Veronique (brand), but, like I said, there are other great companies too.

Jennifer Reichel, MD
Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon

Compression garments

Congratulations on your surgery! Compression garments should feel snug, but not too tight when fastened.  You want the compression to be as even as possible over the surgical area.  All seams should be on the outside part of the garment, not inside.  Good luck!

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon