Why did my breast stay small even after I gained weight? (Photo)

Im 19 years old. I'm currently a 32A (111 lbs). I used to be 32B (115 lbs) due to stress I lost about 13-15 lbs. my breasts just don't looked nice as they did when I was 115 lbs . I really hate that I have such a huge gap. I want to be able to wear normal bras and actually have cleavage.

Volume loss

With a breast augmentation, you will look similar to what you are now but fuller.   There are variations are what size fits your body and what size you like.   The FDA requires women under 22 years of age to use saline implants rather than silicon implants.   

Folsom Plastic Surgeon

Weight & breast size

Some women simply have smaller breasts. If you want larger breasts, speak with a surgeon about a breast augmentation but keep in mind that cleavage is dictated by your anatomy since the implants must be centered behind your nipples. 
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

How weight gain/loss affects breast volume

Straight answer is that you do have fat in your breasts that is also sensitive to weight gain or loss.  Take for example the competitive bikini figure body builder females who have had breast augmentation.    They usually lose body fat to improve muscular definition.  It is very common for them to lose a cup size, and really only have implant, and skin. "I can't fit into my bras any more!" I get this complaint very often. It is temporary however, and resumption of their "normal off season diet" restores them to their normal bra size.  

Definitely make an in-person consultation with a ABPS board certified PS to evaluate you and discuss your options.
Hope that helps and best wishes!
Dr. Morales
ABPS Board Certified
Houston, Tx

Rolando Morales Jr, MD

Breast Size

Hello and thank you for your question and photos!
Every body design is different. There is no answer as to why something happens to one person and not another. But if this is something that really bothers you, I think you would benefit and be very happy with a breast augmentation. Provided you have no other health issues, I think you would be a great candidate and get great results.

If you decide to proceed, please make sure you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Best of luck to you!

Michael K. Obeng, MD, FACS

Why did my breast stay small even after I gained weight?

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately if push up bras don't help, there is no natural way to having cleavage. It seems like you are a good candidate for breast augmentation and fat transfer to achieve your goals but it is best to visit a board-certified plastic surgeon and have a full evaluation. Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi.

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Weight loss

Breast are a component of fat and breast tissue. Any weight fluctuation will result in fat loss or fat gain. This will impact breast size. Some patients will lose fat first in the breast an those who are more fortunate, will lose last and gain first in the breasts. Most predictable way to maintain a breast size would be with an augmentation. This would also help correct your lack of fullness in the cleavage area.

That is just your specific anatomy. Fortunately with breast augmentation and fat transfer you can get a bigger size to suit your wishes. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast Size

Thank you for your question. It is not uncommon to lose breast size with weight loss. I recommend seeing a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your options and come up with a plan that is designed for you.

Weight loss and Breast Size

Thank you for your question and picture.  It sounds like you may be a great candidate for breast augmentation.  

A detailed consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon is important to establish your postoperative goals and determine what implant size and type would be best for you. In my practice I like to review different photos of my patients to establish what shape and volume they seem to like most. It is also very important to perform a detailed exam to evaluate the thickness of your breast tissue, skin tone and the dimensions of your chest. I like to have my patients try on sizers to get a feel for what they may look like and also appreciate how heavy the implants might feel. It is also useful to incorporate some additional 3-D imaging to get a sense for the subtle change between different implant types.

The advice I give to my patients focuses on 3 key elements.

1. Select a board certified plastic surgeon that you can communicate with comfortably to establish your desired look.

2. Establish that your plastic surgeon has your best interest in mind and make sure that they can explain your procedure to you in a way that makes sense and makes you comfortable. I want my patients to walk out of my consults and feel like they “get it” with respect to their surgical plan. I want to make sure that my patients can understand what a specific implant may deliver in regard to their results. This is common when we are trying to determine the size a patient desires, and also whether or not to select a shaped highly cohesive implant compared to a round silicone gel or saline implant.

3. Make sure that you understand what to expect in terms of your recovery and postoperative instructions. In my practice I give my patients additional instructions and tools to help them recover. In addition, I follow all of my patients closely after surgery and visit with them at 1 week and 3 weeks after surgery to make sure they are healing as expected.

Cheers and Best Wishes!
Steven Camp MD
#HappyCamperMD 

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Your options

The only natural way to get larger breasts is to put on weight. If you want to consider breast implants then you could be a great candidate. You would have to have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area. 

Understand your options: 

1) No Surgery – While the benefits of breast augmentation have been mentioned above, there is always the option to NOT have surgery. You should understand what breast augmentation with breast implants can and cannot do for you. While breast augmentation can improve self-esteem and self-confidence, surgery is never an option for trying to fulfill deeper emotional issues.
2) Natural Breast Enhancement (fat transfer breast augmentation) – Some doctors offer augmentation using your own fat to add volume and improve breast shape. This procedure can also sometimes be done under local anesthesia vs. general anesthesia and requires less recovery time.
3) Breast Augmentation with Breast Implants – The benefits and procedure details have been listed above.
When deciding to have surgery, you should be comfortable with your doctor and his staff members. You should be confident that all your questions have been answered in a manner that you understand. You should be aware of all the normal healing, as well as common, less common, and unusual risks to whatever degree you are comfortable with. (Some patients decline to hear about more serious complications). A more comprehensive list of issues and complications during normal healing as well as a problematic post operative course is available at your request. This information is always provided when you schedule surgery.