I Have Large Blue Veins in my Hips and Thighs-does This Increase my Surgery Risks?

I am scheduled for a tummy tuck and breast aug this month. My question is, I've noticed I have very large blue veins all across my hips and upper thighs. Does this cause in increased risk for me having surgery? Does it make it harder for my surgeon? I'm becoming so scared of anything going wrong that I keep looking at every possibility.

Alert Your Surgeon

The large veins that you describe over your hips and thighs are most likely superficial varicosities.  These veins shouldn’t impact your proposed surgical procedure.

Fortunately they aren’t associated with the development of deep venous thrombosis or pulmonary emboli.  Never the less, your surgeon should be made aware of their presence.  If your surgeon has concerns, he will investigate the matter in more detail.

Superficial varicosities do not complicate body contouring surgery nor increase the risks.

In large superficial veins do not increase the difficulty of performing operation nor the risks of pulmonary embolism. Insufficiency of the deep venous system is a different matter.

Enlarged veins and tummy tuck risk

Thank you for your question about your tummy tuck and large leg veins,

• the veins won't make the tummy tuck harder for your surgeon,
  • they may indicate venous insufficiency -
  • tell your surgeon about past phlebitis, swollen ankles and have him/her check you for reversed venous flow.
  • every good tummy tuck surgeon minimizes the risk of leg blood clots. Ask your surgeon to explain his/her approach to reassure you. Hope this helps. Best wishes. 

Veins in the leg.

Your veins are normal anatomy. In my past, there is no increased risk for a deep vein blood clot. The normal precautrions we have for blood clots still apply.All the best

Veins typically have a bluish tinge, and the mere presence is not a risk factor for blood clots.  Varicose veins can be considered a risk factor for blood clots, but not simply having large veins.  The presence of the veins will not make the surgery particularly difficult, and they can be dissected out and/or divided easily.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA