Do "Gummy Bear" implants get softer through the healing and settling process? (photos)

Would I be a good candidate for them? And would 400cc get me to a full C/small D (even though I know bra size is subjective)? Stats: 5'8" Roughly 130 lbs 29" under bust Roughly 12cm bwd Thank you!

Gummy Bear implants

The implant is is more firm then traditional implants but does soften with time. I would suggest going in for a consultation to have an examine to see if you are a candidate for those implants and the size you are wanting. But looking at your pictures rest assured you should get a great result with which ever implant is used. Just make sure to go to a board certified plastic surgeon. Have a great day.

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Sientra Gummy Bear Breast Implants

You must have been doing your research as this is a very perceptive question.  Because the textured Sientra breast implants are designed to Velcro to you through the scarring or encapsulation process that occurs in the weeks after your breast augmentation, the scar changes.  It actually matures like any scar, meaning that the scar will soften over time.  This means that your breasts will get softer and more natural feeling over time.  I have had patients tell me that their breast felt great at 6 to 12 months but that they felt even more natural in the 2nd year.
I hope that helps.
Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Do "Gummy Bear" implants get softer through the healing and settling process?

Appears as a yes. But best is IN PERSON opinions from boarded Plastic Surgeons vs over the internet guesses.... 

Gummy bear implants

Thank you for your pictures. Only examination would determine if you are a good candidate for gummy bear implants. Gummy bear implants tend to be firmer than traditional silicone gel implants. 

Gummy bear implants for the breasts.

I have started using teardrop Model410 Allergan implants for selected patients, and I must say the paTients love the results.  They maintain a natural shape, feel slightly firmer in the first month or so but seem to be wonderfully equal to the other silicone implants in a short period of time.

Always ask your Plastic Surgeon about the benefits and challenges of using these implants before choosing a technique or appearance to an implant.

Good luck to you.

FrNk Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

You are good candidate for any gel implants

High cohesive gel implants are firmer and have texture surface. The indications for these implants are few but the risk of rotation and firmer breasts does not make it best option for all patients. The results of augmentation will depend on the patients breast tissue, implants size ,shape and surgeon's skills. 

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Do Gummy Bear Implants Soften

Gummy Bear implants have slightly stiffer gel in them which is why they are able to maintain their shape against the pressure the overlong skin and muscle.  They give the breast a very natural shape.  Initially they do feel a bit firm and in my experience the breasts take longer to soften than smooth round implants.  They usually do not look as high in the beginning because of the exactness of the pocket that is needed to put them in.  When all is said and done, at about six months they feel very slightly firmer than round implants.  In a young breast this is not unnatural.

Lori H. Saltz, MD

"Gummy bear" implants are not necessarily the answer.

If "gummy bear" implants mean teardrop-shaped textured-surface highly cohesive silicone gel implants to you, then the answer is "No, the implants don't get softer through the healing and settling process." Your breasts, however, DO heal and soften. The difference is important as these are inherently firmer implants than smooth, round, cohesive implants. These (textured shaped high-strength cohesive) implants don't settle either, as they are textured to stay adherent to the tissues in the position they are placed, making them position-sensitive (they would look pretty silly if they were upside-down for instance, or if they don't adhere and rotate around in their pockets).

Plus, they cost more, require a larger incision for placement, and are more difficult to achieve symmetry.

What part of those things do you like?

To be fair, there is nothing wrong with these implants, but there is a reason that the vast majority of surgeons worldwide use smooth round cohesive silicone gel implants--they do not "leak," rarely rupture (would take a huge force to damage them), do NOT require periodic MRI scans (IMHO) since they cannot "leak," are less costly, softer, not position-sensitive (since they are round), and yet look teardrop-shaped when standing and flatten and round out (like normal breasts) when reclining. And, they require a smaller incision to place.

What part of those things did you not like?

I understand the idea of "natural" shape (but how about when reclining--isn't teardrop shaped UNNATURAL when on your back?), and like the idea of reduced capsular contracture and "insurance" for re-operation. But it's not the implant, it's the surgeon. Who may be influencing you into what I personally feel is an unnecessary "gummy bear implants are 'better'" point of view. I would not claim they are "bad," just a combination of things that are not required for someone with your excellent anatomy.

For more information about implant choices, click on the web reference link below for my Comprehensive Guide to Breast Augmentation. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Gummy bear implants

It looks like you have the anatomy to get an excellent result with almost any type of implant.  Each type has its pros and cons.  Ask your surgeon to show you each so you can feel them before deciding.   You will find that the gummy bear implants feel firmer than round (generation 4) implants, but after they are in place, the added firmness is generally imperceptible.  There are other issues...cost, incision size, precise pocket placement....discuss these with your plastic surgeon.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon

Gummy bear breast implants

In general gummy bear breast implants are somewhat firmer than others. You should consult with an experience board-certified plastic surgeon first before deciding what kind of implants you want, as the choices are many.  Go to someone who can offer you all options , including Sientra gummy bear implants.  After a thorough consultation you will feel like you can make an informed choice.Remember that cup size will vary greatly depending on where you buy a bra.  Below is a healed breast augmentation patient.  Good luck in the process. 

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon