Teardrop/Anatomical Implants - Looking Unnatural When Lying on Back.

When the woman lies down the teardrop implants retain their teardrop shape which can be quiet unnatural looking. Is it still true with the latest gummy bear implants? How unnatural do they look? The point of getting teardrops is achieving a natural look. If they look fake when lying down, then I think I'd be better off having round implants. I don't plan on getting large ones (max 300cc). I'm 5'9" skinny and have little to no breast tissue (flat chested, imagine Olivia Palermo)..

Natural look

Thanks for the question
 If you want a natural result then I would recommend a tear drop shaped implant.
Lying on your back doesn't make tear drop implants look more "fake" than round.
The crucial thing is making sure they are placed accurately so that when you lie on your back they don't fall off the chest wall and give you a big gap centrally.

I hope this helps and good luck.

#breastimplant

HI

You would almost certainly be better off with a teardrop shaped implant if you want a natural result.  With either shaped implant you will have a fake look compared to normal breast tissue of the same volume because all of the implants are firmer than normal tissue.  This applies when you are lying down.  The 'fakeness' of the breast when lying down is minimal between the 2.

Regards

Damien

Choice of implant shape

Hi Bunnygirl

Most women find that anatomical/teardrop shaped implants look more natural than round implants, especially when lying on their back (such as at the beach). It depends a little on implant placement and choice of dimensions.

Good Luck

Dr Gavin Sandercoe

Natural implants when lying down

Hi,

Thanks for the question

I think the look you are after is going to be achieved with a pocket for the plant that is larger than the implant. that way the implant moves from side to side and moves sideways when you are lying on your back

this will classically need a round smooth implant to achieve and is know as the " mega pocket technique"

I hope that helps a little , but a consultation is the key

Jeremy Hunt

Selecting the best implant

Thank you for posting your question. The anatomical implants are meant to maintain their shape whether standing or lying down. You will find after consulting with board certified plastic surgeons that there are pros and cons to both smooth silicone implants and anatomical implants. It is up to you, with the guidance of your chosen plastic surgeon, to decide what will suit you best.

My best suggestion is for you to consult with board certified plastic surgeons who are highly trained with both anatomical and round implants.

Best of luck in your research,

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Are shaped implants anatomical?

The Allergan 410 has a very stiff gel and may not change its shape when laying down.  The Sientra shaped implant has a little more compressible gel and the upper pole will collapse somewhat in the standing position. In patients with very little breast tissue, a nominally filled implant with a responsive gel i.e 4th generation gel will look better in the laying down position. Find a board certified plastic surgery with experience in cosmetic breast surgery. Good luck on your surgery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

In my opinion, much more important than shape of breast implants will be careful selection of plastic surgeon and careful preoperative communication. In this regard, in my practice, I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical. Also, in my practice, I find that I use round (saline or silicone gel) breast implants for most patients seeking breast augmentation surgery.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “very natural” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Shaped implants

The anatomical shaped implants do not move as much as round smooth implants. Both implants will have a tear drop shape when standing. Placing the implants behind the muscle will give more coverage up top, but sometimes gives more movement when you move your arms. I would suggest meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon and discussing all the pros and cons of the shaped and round implants. In some women with little breast tissue, most all implants may still look fake.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon