Is it dangerous to put your own blood on your face as a mask? Would there be any complications and risks with absorption?

I heard that putting your own blood on your face can have anti ageing properties. But I was curious as to whether there may be any risks involved with using your own blood as a facial mask.

Thanks for your query. Yes blood has antiaging properties and growth factors which is used in a facial a.k.a vampire facial. In blood facial whole blood is not used but it is centrifuged to get the clear serum which is rich in growth factors and it works only when injected or by mesotherapy Just superficial massage is not very useful.All The Best

India Plastic Surgeon

Microneedling which only enters skin to depth of 1 mm stimulates collagen safely from inside the skin and will be more lasting and more effective than any topical.

Morris Westfried, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

I always tell my patients, if a facial feels good for you to relax, get it. If you are actually trying to improve your skin in the long term, do Dermapen instead. You know when you go on a trip and you get a facial, you glow that day, then go back to looking normal the day after. After Dermapen, you glow for a month and get long-lasting collagen production.
You can get Dermapen (or microneedling) with blood or spun down blood to isoloate the PRP (platelet rich plasma). This boosts the efficacy of microneedling by penetrating your own growth factors deep into your skin, again, causing more collagen production and lon-lasting benefits for your skin. I prefer PRP over blood because we have isolated the growth factor portion of the blood to use in the treatment.
You can expect improvement in fine lines and wrinkles, hyperpigmentation, and a long-lasting glow. Personally, I love this treatment and try to get it done every couple of months. You will be addicted too. Promise!

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

PRP Facial

There are no risks as it is not your blood that is applied, it is the PRP (platelet rich plasma) that is separated in a centrifuge. Only the PRP is applied to your skin and has amazing benefits for many different skin types. I recommend consulting with a physician or medical spa that provides PRP treatments or injections.

good luck!

H. George Brennan, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon