How Soon Can I Swim After BA? Is 3 Wks Enough Time?

I have a BA scheduled for June 27 and a vacation planned on July 19th. I am worried that this will not be enough time to heal properly and have a good time. I have asked my PS and she assured me that it would be fine but Im still a little sceptical. Can anyone share their thoughts or expertise with me? I dont have anything straneous planned during my vacation but I do plan to be in pools a lot.

Swimming OK 3 weeks after breast augmentation

Depending on your postoperative recovery, three weeks is typical before my patients are allowed to be in the pool or ocean.  That does not include any strenous laps, but merely being in the water.  Six weeks is typically recommended before engaging in more strenuous activities with your upper body.  So if you're just planning on looking good by the pool on vacay at 3 weeks, I think it's reasonable.  However, it's always a good idea to confirm with your surgeon prior to engaging in these activities.

Swimming after Surgery

Although surgeons’ guidelines differ, I recommend that my breast augmentation patients avoid exercising for 4 weeks after surgery (including swimming) and also avoid submerging their incisions until they are fully healed. It can take 4-8 weeks for incisions to heal over (lose the scabs) and during this time the area may be more susceptible to infections. It is important to keep the incision areas as clean as possible during the healing process to ensure no adverse conditions from developing. I usually ask my patients to hold off on swimming or spa use until I can assess the incision area(s) to be sure that they have healed appropriately. Be sure to check with your surgeon for his or her guidelines on swimming after your procedure.

Frank Lista, MD

Swimming after breast augmentation

It is wise to wait at least three weeks after your surgery before you go swimming. At that time, the incision will be healed enough so that water won’t penetrate it and possibly cause an infection.

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Swimming After Breast Augmentation

At 3 weeks after your surgery, you should be okay to go underwater, but don't go overboard (no pun intended). You should not strain yourself while swimming, as this can compromise your recovery. However, this is only if your surgeon says it's okay and your recovery has been going well. Please ask your surgeon for their advice. 

Regardles, however, please make sure you cover up your incisions from sun exposure, as not doing so can make your scars much more noticeable.  

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Swimming after breast augmentation

Every surgeon is going to have a slightly different perspective on this question. Everyone would agree that you should wait until the incisions are healed. The debate is when is the incision really healed. If you heal normally, I would suggest that the epithelialization process that makes your skin waterproof should be well established at the 3 week time frame. But the tensile strength of the incision is not optimized for much longer. You should still restrict your upper body activity for up to 6 weeks. But, I would feel comfortable with you just being in water at 3 weeks if you heal normally. 

Wm. Todd Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Swimming after breast augmentation / Nadar despues de aumento de senos

You can go swimming after your incisions are completly healed from your surgery.  This is a question being based in Miami I get a lot.  As long as everything is healed from your breast aug and you feel ok, 3-4 weeks should be ok. No, this doesn't mean you can go scuba diving, or spear fishing, etc.  Use common sense and make sure that your board certified surgeon agrees.  Also keep the scars out of the sun.

Good luck with your surgery and enjoy your vacation!

Usted puede nadar despues que sus incisiones esten completamente cerradas. Esta es una pregunta que estando en Miami, muchos pacientes la hacen. Desde que todo este sanado y usted se sienta bien 3/4 es lo indicado. Esto no que quiere decir que usted pueda bucear o hacer pesca submarina, etc. Use sentido comun y asegurese de que su cirujano certificado este de acuerdo. Ademas mantega las cicatrizes fuera del sol.

Suerte en su cirugia y disfrute las vacaciones!

Anire Okpaku, MD FACS

Recommend to Wait 6 Weeks

Thank you for your question. I would recommend that you ask your plastic surgeon as they know the specifics of your case. I generally tell patients that they can go in the water, but in terms of swimming for exercise or doing vigorous activity with the arms and upper body, I generally recommend that my breast augmentation patients wait 6 weeks.

Joshua D. Zuckerman, MD, FACS

Swimming after Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question. I would say anywhere from 3-5 weeks depending on your healing process. Just make sure it is not aggressive swimming. If that is the case wait 6 weeks. You should be okay to soak in a pool about 3-5 weeks. Best of luck!

Dhaval M. Patel 

Double Board Certified 

Plastic Surgeon 

Hoffman Estates 

Barrington 

Oakbrook 

Chicago 

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Swimming After Breast Augmentation

Patients are eager to return to normal activity as soon as possible following breast augmentation surgery. Unfortunately, returning to normal activity too soon can result in an increased potential for complications. Swimming can potentially have negative consequences if resumed too soon.

Theoretically, once the skin edges have sealed in about 48 hours following surgery, these activities can be resumed. In reality, small absorbable sutures may break through the skin and become exposed. In this situation, infection could occur in a patient who is submerged in a Jacuzzi, pool, pond or ocean. Each of these environments may have unique and in many cases, antibiotic resistant bacteria that could lead to a significant infection.

In addition, plastic surgeons generally don't recommend resumption of strenuous activity for at least six weeks following breast augmentation surgery. Swimming can create significant strain on the core muscles and should, therefore, be avoided in the immediate post-operative period.

It's important to realize that every patient's procedure and post-operative course is unique. For these reasons, make sure you consult your plastic surgeon before getting into the water.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Swimming after breast augmentation

I advise all my patients that they can be submerged in water 3 weeks after surgery. 
The reasons for this is all my patients wounds have dressings for the first 3 weeks. After this time, the wounds are generally dry and healing nicely so they don't require any bandage support/protection. So they can go for a "light" swim. However, as far as undergoing normal physical activity I advise all my patients to return to attempting normal physical activity from four weeks after surgery. 
So enjoy your vacation and feel free to take a dip, but try to refrain from any attempts at serious swimming until four weeks post-op.

Eddy Dona, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon