Can I do mushrooms before a breast augmentation?

I'm getting a breast augmentation Aug. 18. My doctor reccommended I stop smoking marijuana and cigarettes before my operation (which has I have.) Now one of my friends is offering for me to do mushrooms tomorrow. Will that affect my surgery? I read mushrooms only stay in your system for 3-5 days?

Taking mushrooms or other drugs not approved by your plastic surgeon can put your health at risk.

Hallucinogenic mushrooms, or psilocybin, impact brain activity and could very well interfere with the anesthesia or IV sedation that will be administered to you during your breast augmentation surgery. It’s simply not worth the risk to your health and wellbeing. It’s great that you’ve been able to stop smoking cigarettes and marijuana, and I encourage you to maintain smoking abstinence after your procedure in order to support your healing. Smoking can lead to complications as well as delaying the healing process.

Thank you for your question and your honesty. It is best to avoid this for your own safety. Also discuss this with your board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Ingesting mushrooms prior to surgery?

We provide our patients with a list of substances that we do not want them to ingest for 2 weeks prior to surgery. This includes at least 60 things such as aspirin, ibuprofen, herbs, vitamin E, fish oil and energy drinks. Mushrooms would also be on our list if the subject came up. It will be important for you to have this discussion with your doctor.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Do Not Take Drugs Before Surgery

Your Plastic Surgeon will certainly appreciate you letting them know about any and all substances you've been taking and will certainly advise you not to take mushrooms or other drugs before or after your surgery. Safety is extremely important for any Plastic Surgeon and hopefully is for you as well.
All the best

Illicit drugs

Real Self demands that answers be at least 100 words so I'm  going to drag this out a bit. No, you shouldn't use mushrooms before your surgery. 

Arko Demianczuk, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

No. Illicit drug use is not condoned before a purely elective cosmetic procedure or any procedure for that matter. General anesthesia or intravenous sedation is used during BA surgery and your risks increase with the use of drugs. 

Were you expecting anyone on here to condone your use of drugs prior to surgery?!? I would advise you stay away from anything around the time of surgery that could compromise your surgical results or safety. It's not worth it!Be safe!

It's a profoundly stupid question. I do not condone any illegal drugs ever! Especially before elective surgery. The contents of your drugs could kill you during Anesthesia. If you were my patient- and I knew this- I would cancel the surgery

Drug Use and Surgery

Thanks for your question. Please avoid all drugs, alcohol, smoking, and medicinal herbs/supplements before surgery.  As well, you need to avoid these items during the post-operative period to avoid issues with wound healing.Cheers,Steven Camp MD#HappyCamperMD

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Drugs prior to surgery

You should abstain from the use of any drugs, medications, and supplements that are you are not specifically instructed to take prior to surgery.  These substances can interact with other medications you'll be given and/or have other affects influencing your ability to properly heal.

Camille Cash, MD