How Am I Supposed to Sleep After Having Tummy Tuck and Bbl Done at the Same Time?

I'm having tummy tuck and bbl done but I'm trying to figure out how I'm supposed to sleep or relax if I can't lay on my back nor my stomach?

Having a tummy tuck and Brazilian Butt Lift at the same time.

It will be challenging to try to get into a comfortable sleeping position after having a tummy tuck and a Brazilian Butt  Lift at the same time. I advise patients to do the procedures separately because of that reason. You should not sit on you butt after a Brazilin butt lift, but after a tummy tuck all you want to do is sit.  My patients end up laying on their sides if I am not adding fat to their sides.

Montclair Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and bbl - recovery

Thank your for your question. A tummy tuck can address the skin and muscle laxity of the abdominal region as well as reducing the excess fatty tissue. A brazilian butt lift helps to shape the buttock by borrowing fat from one part (or several) and transferring this fat to another. They are both extremely rewarding procedures. The best approach for a patient who wants to have both procedures is to stage them and possibly start with the BBL. Here is why:
1) A brazilian butt lift is transferring fat from one area to the buttock. One common donor area is the tummy. Once the fat is transferred, you need to keep pressure off the buttock as this allows new blood supply to develop to the newly grafted fat cells. Any stress such as pressure can reduce the efficacy of this process and hence you may lose some fat. Hence, no sitting or laying on your bottom for ~2 weeks.
2) A tummy tuck is removing excess skin and tightening the muscle as well as remove extra fat. To make the skin removal efficient and protect the incision, you surgeon will often remove skin while your hips are flexed. You will need to maintain this position after surgery for about a week. This will required you to sleep in a recliner position for a good week. In addition, l often combine liposuction of the abdomen and flanks as part of this procedure and once this fat is removed, it cannot be stored for the brazilian buttock lift in the future.
Since the recovery process for these two popular procedures compete, I would recommend staging them. If your surgeon is needing as much donor areas to recruit as much fat as possible, then I would start with the brazilian buttock lift so you can use the abdominal and flank regions as donor areas.

BBL and Tummy tuck protocol

The protocol each surgeon uses is different based on their experience and technique. However, in general, 3 weeks is my time line. But even after that I ask patients to try to minimize pressure for 6 weeks to improve cell viability. From the moment the fat transfer is accomplished there is a race between fat death and new blood flow to transferred fat. It is every surgeons and patients goal to do whatever they can to maximize the take of fat. Part of every protocol is to seek ways to relieve pressure by constantly changing positions. Speak with your plastic surgeon about his/her specific protocol.

Sleeping position after tummy tuck and Brazilian Butt Lift

Typically after a tummy tuck/BBL combination we have our patients sleep in a reclining chair for most of the first week. If you don't have one you can borrow or rent one rather than a surgical bed. Discuss this with your plastic surgeon.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Sleeping after a tummy tuck and BBL

After tummy tuck, the best sleeping position is slightly sitting up with a pillow under the knees so you are comfortably flexed at the waist. This will take off the strain off of the muscle repair and you will feel most comfortable, particularly when  getting out of bed.  Unfortunately, this puts pressure on the buttocks and is a problem after a BBL. You can usually sleep on your side in a fetal position or better yet, do the procedures at two seperate times. Your recoveries will be easier and neither procedure nor post-op positioning will negatively impact the other.

Janet Woodyard, MD

Tummy Tuck and BBL At The Same Time

Dear Prettyface_usa, This is probably the most commonly asked question to plastic surgeons who perform these two procedures.  My usual recommendation to patients is to perform the BBL first and then the tummy tuck second.  This has a number of advantages including maximally protecting the fat that has been transferred by allowing the patient to not put any extra pressure on the buttocks recipient site.  Also, by performing the tummy tuck second, if there are any small areas in the buttocks that still need to be touched up, you can use some of the fat from the tummy tuck site.  Still there are many patients because of time limitations or other reasons that cannot separate the two procedures and then they will need to spend the majority of their time either standing or laying on their sides.  Hope this helps.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

This recovery is difficult.  You have a couple of options.  You can sleep on your sides or place pillows underneath your thighs and lower back.  Ask your plastic surgeon what he or she recommends.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of Brazilian buttlifts and tummy tucks each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

On your side

If your sides were not treated, then you would have to lie on your side to get comfortable and sleep.