I'm Suppose to Have a Lat Flap and Am Wondering How Safe is the Procedure?

and how long of a recovery is it after..?

Latissimus Dorsi flap and recovery.

The latissimus dorsi flap operation is a very safe and reliable operation. My patients tend to spend 1 evening in the hospital and go home the next day. I have found the use of a pain pump (On-Q) in the back to be helpful in reducing overall recovery times. The procedure typically takes several hours, however major complications are rare.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Latissimus dorsi flap

Latissimus dorsi flap is a very common flap used for breast reconstruction and wound coverage for large wounds.  As this is a commonly used flap, it is likely 'routine' surgery and so your surgeon and nursing team should be well familiarized with the procedure.  Surgical risks should be minimal.  The recovery may take a while.  You will likely have drains that may have to stay in place for up to 2 weeks.  The recovery is also governed by what the flap is being used.  Follow your surgeon's instructions carefuly to ensure that the blood flow to the flap is no interfered with.
Sincerely,
Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Latissimus dorsi muscle flap

The LD flap is used mainly for breast reconstruction, and these days it is often reserved as a " life preserver" or back up for emergencies when other flaps have failed, or the patient had radiation injury from previou reconstruction.

This is a safe flap

The indications for the Lat. Flap is limited because of the small amount of fatty tissue over the muscle. This is used usually in combination with implant for breast reconstruction. The most common flap for breast reconstruction is free TRAM,free DIEP and GAP flap. There may be a specific reason that your surgeon has decided to do the Lat. flap including your medical conditions,avalability of the abdominal tissue and your expectations.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Lat flap for breast reconstruction

The Latissimus flap is an excellent option for reconsruction.  It is not done that frequently today because it requires an intraoperative change in position.  It is most commonly used to salvage other failed reconstructions and it may be offered  if a patient requires radiation therapy and is not a candidate for autogenous recostruction. The most reconstructions performed today are expander/ implant reconstructions and  TRAM reconstructions.  Good Luck

Beverly Friedlander, MD
Short Hills Plastic Surgeon

The Lifeboat.

The latissimus is a great procedure. Studies show that at one year there is no deficit in activities of daily living and there is minimal if any late pain. The shoulder girdle muscles take over the function and range of motion and strength are largely maintained. I try to reserve it for when the patient has already been radiated, but will use it in the setting of poor baseline mastectomy flaps. It is a good lifeboat to get the patient out of trouble in a variety of situations. Best wishes.

Mark D. Wigod, MD
Boise Plastic Surgeon

Latissimus flap breast reconstruction

As Dr. Aldea said, the latissimus flap is a workhorse for reconstructive plastic surgeons.  Non-survival of this robust flap is exceedingly rare and the main risk is a fluid collection in the back which resolves with time and treatment.  The functional compromise by losing this muscle is mainly seen in swimmers and cross country skiers or in pushing up from chairs.

How Safe is A Latissimus Flap Breast Surgery?

The Latissimus Flap breast surgery is a VERY old operation. It was originally described by an Italian surgeon (Ignio Tansini) in 1892. It was forgotten and was popularized in in breast reconstruction in 1976. It is an extremely common flap procedure which is familiar to all Plastic surgeons with a good safety record. The only draw backs are a weakness in pushing one up from a chair and frequent seromas in the back donor site which resolve. 

Good luck with your surgery.

Peter A Aldea, MD

Is the Latissimus Dorsi Flap Breast Reconstruction Safe?

The Latissimus dorsi flap breast reconstruction is a safe and reliable flap.

Unless used without an underlying breast implant, it is usually only suitable for reconstruction of small breasts.

When the breast implant is combined with the latissimus dorsi flap it adds the potential complications of a breast implant.  These complications include breast  implant infection, breast implant exposure, breast implant capsular contracture, and breast implant rupture.

If your breasts are too large for a latissimus dorsi flap alone, and you do not want to use an underlying breast implant, then another flap breast reconstruction such as a TRAM flap or DIEP flap should be considered.

Fredrick A. Valauri, MD

Latissimus Flap Breast Reconstruction

The latissimus dorsi muscle is the large muscle you can feel on your back when you push your shoulder down.  It is an excellent choice for breast reconstruction.  The main reason is that it has an incredible blood supply and therefore it is much more sturdy than other tissues.  It is also a great muscle to use in post radiated breasts.  Again due to bloody supply.  However, there are a few things to consider.

First, you will have drains in your back that can take several weeks until they are ready to be removed.  And even with the drains the risk of seroma formation is still higher than with other flaps.  Not a huge deal but bothersome as you will need the seroma drained every few days.  Second, the loss of the muscle will result in weakness, on that side, with arm pulling motion such as ladder or rock climbing.  Finally, it is a large but relatively thin muscle and therefore can rarely be used alone.  Most of the time it is used in conjunction with an expander that will later be replaced with an implant.

Overall I am a huge fan of this muscle because of its reliability.  I used to use dermal matrices but had many problems so I want back to using the latissimus and have been happy ever since.