How successful are fat transplants to the hands?

My hands are bony and wrinkled. I would like to fins a procedure to reduce this look.

Fat Grafting to the Hand.

This is a very rewarding procedure. It improves the appearance of the aging hand by decreasing the show of bones, tendons, and veins on the back of the hand. I place between 10-15 cc per hand. Common donor sites are the knees, thighs, love handles, and tummy. Not much fat is needed for this procedure.  The recovery is only a day or so. 

Fat grafting is a reasonable form of treatment, although hand fat grafting is far less common than fat grafting to the buttocks or the face.

Hand rejuvenation with fat transfer

Marietta 5425, thank you for your question.Fat transfer – also known as fat grafting to the hands is a very successful procedure and produces significant rejuvenation of the aging structures of the hands.Whenever any type of grafting procedure is performed, it is well known that not 100% of the graft will survive, but the majority of the tissue should with proper technique and placement of the graft.The fat that does survive will last much, much longer than other possible fillers (which usually have to be maintained on an annual basis).

Although the fat grafting does not reverse the natural stages of aging and depending on your expectations , amount of correction needed, and your individual aging process, you may need to have it performed again in the future.However, fat grafting to the hands should provide you will a much more youthful appearance to your hands.Good luck on your cosmetic enhancement pursuits

Stanley Okoro, MD

Fat transfers work very well in the hands

Fat transfers are a great way to volumize the farce and hands. Incidentally the same concept is used for both breast cancer reconstruction and and brazillian butt lift with some modifications. The procedure entails removing fat from one location (therefore stripping the fat of its lifeline (aka blood supply), then transplanting it into another location and allowing the new lifeline (aka blood supply) to grow into the fat and nourish it. During the period where the fat is trying to get it lifeline established there is always some fat resorbtion. People will quote varying percentages of fat resorbtion but the reality is that a small amount, depending on technique and experience, will resorb. For the sake of informed consent and transparency, I always warn potential patients about this fact. I hope this information helps to make you comfortable about the procedure. Its very safe, easy and the results are instant. 

Raj S. Ambay, MD
Tampa, FL

Hand rejuvenation, fat transfer, peeling, Radiesse, Fillers

Dear Marietta5425: if the hands are showing the veins & tendons, fat transfer is one of the best approaches. It is an outpatient procedure, done under local anesthesia. The transferred fat, may also help the overlying skin , posdibly through the stem cells it contains. The hands can also be filled with fillers , such as Radiesse, Restylane/Perlane, or Juverderm/ Voluma. The overlying skin can be improved by using vitamin A creams, Alph Hydroxy Acid creams, peeling, or Laser/Light device treatments.

Khaled El-Hoshy, MD
Detroit Dermatologic Surgeon

Fat grafting of hands.

Some 35 years ago I got tired of surgeons telling me that fat does not last. So I injected one hand with fat and waited 2 years. You could tell the difference across the room. Go to an experienced fat injector and u should be very happy.

Fat transfers to the hands can work very well.

As with all fat transfers, you will initially be overcorrected.  Hands seem to stay swollen for at least 4-8 weeks, so expect them to look puffy for a while.  With time a % of the fat will resorb, and your hands should look less bony and veiny.      

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon