I'm almost 2 weeks post-op with the incision in the fold and my doctor says to wait till 4 weeks to start using scar treatment. Isn't it better to start sooner to have them healed faster?
How Soon Should I Start Using Scar Treatment After Breast Augmentation?
Doctor Answers 20
Scar treatment should in general start sooner rather than later
If you had a plastic surgeon perform your breast augmentation properly, the incision should be small and well hidden. It sounds like he/she wants you to allow the incision to heal before trying to manipulate the appearance of it. This is because it takes the body approximately 6 weeks to achieve peak strength in terms of scar/collagen formation.
If your scar is becoming hypertrophic or wide there are many treatments available but few are typically successful. At this point only slilicone sheets have been documented to work. everything else is a crap shoot. Later on other options may be helpful.
If your scar is discolored or red then you should wait and let the scar mature and likely fade to normal. There are creams out there that may help reduce the time it takes to help it fade but not by much.
These are general options, you should see your plastic surgeon and tell him about your specific complaints about the scar to see what you should ultimately do.
Scar massage therapy/treatment
When to start scar creams after breast surgery
You might also like...
Scar treatment after breast augmentation
I would therefore listen to your surgeon regarding what they believe is appropriate for you.
The general guidelines we provide patients in our clinic are as follows:
- At the one week post-op appointment your dressings will be removed and your wound inspected.
- All wounds are closed using three layers of internal dissolving sutures so no stitches need to be removed.
- At this one week stage dressings (steri-strips) are re-applied to the wounds and these stay in place for a further two weeks.
- At the three week stage the steri-strips are then removed and no further dressings are applied. At this stage the wounds are generally very dry and healing nicely. This is when we have our patients commence scar massage and treatments with silicone gels to optimise the quality of the scars.
So basically for the first 3 weeks your wounds are completely covered so no topical scar gels/creams can be used until this stage.
Breast scar management
1) Scar massage - starting as soon as the surgical dressings come off and the incisions are sealed
2) Silicone sheets or scar gels for about six months to year as soon as the glue/tape is off
3) Embrace - a tension reducing dressing for the first 2 months
4) Fractionated lasers to help blend the scar into the background - done as a series, starting about 4 weeks after surgery and repeated every four weeks for six months.
5) Sunscreen to prevent the scars from darkening
When should I begin using ScaRxtape for my scars?
Listen to your surgeon
Scar Treatment After Breast Augmentation
Every surgeon has their own treatment regimen for incisions following surgery. I use sutures that dissolve beneath the skin over time with adhesive steri-strips over the incision. These strips are removed 1-2 weeks after surgery. At that time, I recommended topical scar treatment with Kelocote scar gel and Vitamin E oil. I feel this treatment can reduce the scar. This treatment should be individualized based on the patient's skin sensitivity and plastic surgeon's preference.
Too soon can cause problems
Scar Treatment After Breast Augmentation
Thank you for your question. Typically, I recommend patients to start using scar treatments 2 weeks after surgery. However, it is always best to follow the instructions from your certified plastic surgeon as they're guided by your specific surgery.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.