How Soon Should I Start Using Scar Treatment After Breast Augmentation?

I'm almost 2 weeks post-op with the incision in the fold and my doctor says to wait till 4 weeks to start using scar treatment. Isn't it better to start sooner to have them healed faster?

Scar treatment should in general start sooner rather than later

If you had a plastic surgeon perform your breast augmentation properly, the incision should be small and well hidden.  It sounds like he/she wants you to allow the incision to heal before trying to manipulate the appearance of it.  This is because it takes the body approximately 6 weeks to achieve peak strength in terms of scar/collagen formation.

If your scar is becoming hypertrophic or wide there are many treatments available but few are typically successful.  At this point only slilicone sheets have been documented to work.  everything else is a crap shoot.  Later on other options may be helpful.

If your scar is discolored or red then you should wait and let the scar mature and likely fade to normal.  There are creams out there that may help reduce the time it takes to help it fade but not by much.

These are general options, you should see your plastic surgeon and tell him about your specific complaints about the scar to see what you should ultimately do.

Freehold Plastic Surgeon

When to start scar creams after breast surgery

Your Surgeon probably is giving you the best information for your particular surgery. In general I tend to start after 2-3 weeks with scar treatments.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Scar massage therapy/treatment

Follow the instructions of your plastic surgeon.  I concur with your PS.  I generally recommend initiation of scar massage therapy starting at 4-6 weeks after surgery.  Best of luck. Dr. Basu Houston, TX

Listen to your surgeon

Usually, I recommend patients start their scar treatments (silicone sheeting and silicone gels) only after the steristrips fall off and the incisions are no longer crusty or scabby. This means that it's more your progression rather than how many weeks have passed. However, you should really listen to your surgeon since they're most familiar with your situation.

Scar Treatment After Breast Augmentation

Every surgeon has their own treatment regimen for incisions following surgery. I use sutures that dissolve beneath the skin over time with adhesive steri-strips over the incision. These strips are removed 1-2 weeks after surgery. At that time, I recommended topical scar treatment with Kelocote scar gel and Vitamin E oil. I feel this treatment can reduce the scar. This treatment should be individualized based on the patient's skin sensitivity and plastic surgeon's preference.   

Breast scar management

Thank you for your question. Breast incisions can be managed using a multimodal approach:
1) Scar massage - starting as soon as the surgical dressings come off and the incisions are sealed
2) Silicone sheets or scar gels for about six months to year as soon as the glue/tape is off
3) Embrace - a tension reducing dressing for the first 2 months
4) Fractionated lasers to help blend the scar into the background - done as a series, starting about 4 weeks after surgery and repeated every four weeks for six months.
5) Sunscreen to prevent the scars from darkening

When should I begin using ScaRxtape for my scars?

I have recommended ScaRxtape for my patients after injury or surgery. It is simple to use, inexpensive and works as well as other more expensive creams. I have patients put it on starting about two weeks after surgery and wear it for several months. It usually stays on through showers for about a week.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Scar cream

Generally, you can start to apply the scar cream 3 weeks after your surgery. Check with your surgeon for his /her instructions regarding this. Best of luck and enjoy your results!

Too soon can cause problems

You want to make sure your incisions are totally closed before you start applying scar treatments. If you do it too soon, you risk infecting or opening up the incisions. Listen to your surgeon.

Ronald Levine, MD

Scar treatment

Thank you for the question.  Starting at 4 weeks to use scar treatment is a good turn around time.  Your PS obviously wants your wounds to heal first which is not a bad idea.  I would go with your plastic surgeon's advice.  Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi.

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS